Beef chuck short ribs???

Discussion in 'Beef' started by bigsteve, Jun 3, 2009.

1. bigsteve

bigsteve Master of the Pit

I've never made beef ribs before. Although I've eaten them elsewhere. Wifey brought some home from the store the other day. Couple of questions......

These are labeled ""beef chuck short ribs boneless" Have only heard of "Beef short ribs" not "chuck" short ribs. Are these fake ribs, like Pork country style ribs? Is this cut considered great/okay/bad??

Do you cook them med rare, or to a high internal?

If high, do you foil/braise for awhile? What temp do you foil these at?

2. flash

flash Smoking Guru OTBS Member

If they are boneless I would not over cook them. Beef ribs I like med to med rare. With out a bone, I would try braising them as a Country rib is done, but wouldn't go over 4 hours max.
    I would try a 2-1.5-.5 or in that area.

3. scubadoo97

scubadoo97 Smoking Fanatic

Usually boneless chuck short ribs are just pieces of chuck cut into chunks. Me personally I would just treat them like chuck. Real short ribs have too much connective tissue for me to want to eat anyway but slow braised till fall off the bone tender.

4. rons

rons Smoking Fanatic

I tried beef ribs a couple times, I think I cooked them right but they didn't come out as good as pork ribs or beef ribs at some rib joints I've eaten at. I think the type of Rib and critter they came from really makes a difference. Hope yours come out great!