Beef Bacon with Boneless Short Ribs: An Experiment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

worktogthr

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 3, 2013
Massapequa, NY (Long Island)
Thanks to all he help of many people on this forum I came up with a game plan on turning some boneless beef short rib pieces into beef bacon.

Soaked the piece in pops brine with some garlic, onion, and black pepper added to the mix. Left it in the fridge for two weeks, took it out today, rinsed it, dried it and here it is:

Coated it with generous amounts of garlic, onion, and black pepper:

Now these will hang out uncovered in the fridge for a few days until I smoke hem on either Monday or Tuesday. Planning the warm smoke method for about 10-12 hours just like when I do pork belly bacon. Excited to see how this turns out. Wish me luck!

-Chris

110.gif

So today I sliced open the slab. Now unfortunately I got unlucky. I was advised that the way the rib bones run would probably be against the grain which would make it more tender so I cut down the middle.

Now the reason I say in unlucky is because it seems like the grain runs a bunch of different ways and mostly diagonal . It's going to be hard to really cut against the grain. I am planning on slicing super thin anyways so I'm sure it will be fine. I baked one piece in the toaster oven to try it:

It curled up a lot while cooking but I have to say... Really nice texture when I ate it. Not quite crispy like bacon. A little chew but really tender. The taste is like bacon and pastrami combined which is what I expected but really awesome.

I will be back tomorrow after I thin slice it with my electric slicer. Thanks!

Last edited:
Chris would you use them meaty ribs again for that? Does have a real nice Pastrami color.

Richie

A point for trying something out of the box.

Chris would you use them meaty ribs again for that? Does have a real nice Pastrami color.

Richie

A point for trying something out of the box.
Thanks for the point Richie!  To answer your question, probably not.  The only reason I tried it was because I got a large quantity of these boneless short ribs for a great price and I like to tinker.  It is similar to pastrami which I eat with eggs often so I could probably get brisket cheaper in most cases and make pastrami.  Definitely a tasty experiment.

That Looks Awesome, Chris!!
drool.gif
---------------------
points.gif

Mighty Tasty!!
drool.gif

I could handle a few slices of that with my Daily Eggs!!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky