Beautiful day for a pork butt in Broken Arrow OK!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rkjjworld

Original poster
Jan 31, 2016

Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans, sounded amazing so had to try them!

10 pound pork butt, late start...may be a long day!  Quick pic while putting the beans in.  This is my second attempt, my first came out pretty good a couple weeks ago, hoping this one is even better.  I kept notes for the first so pretty much following them cooking around 250 to an IT of 200-205.  First butt pics below.

Happy Smokin!

Robbi

Thanks all!

After a late start and 2 teenage boys who thought they would starve to death I pulled it off the smoker at 180 IT and finished in the oven at about 730 last night. I had a little trouble maintaining the temp this time after about 6 hours it dropped to under 200 so I ended up adding more charcoal I started with the chimney starter.  Any tips on how to sustain the temp longer or is that about all I'll get with the WSM 14.5?  I would have like to finished it on the smoker but it honestly was just as good.  It had been on for almost 9 hours.  The beans were so good, I had left out the jalapeno because no one likes spice but me but I think I'll add a little next time.  Pics below,  I think I want to try a brisket next. 

both done on my WSM 14.5

Robbi

Robbi,

Can't help with the WSM, but hello from Broken Arrow, OK as well. I'm in Battle Creek. Howdy neighbor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Next time you have a late start, cut it in half and they will cook faster.  And as a bonus you get more bark.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky