Bears Packer Brisket advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nickelmore

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Lockport IL
First off thanks for all the good advice I have found through the forums. I have read a whole bunch. But looking for some opinions on my first brisket.

My son has a 15 pounder that he wants to pull for the game on Sunday night.

1. Should I cook today and reheat tommorow in a slow cooker?

2. Water pan or no water pan. I am still playing around with different burners and can reach better temps without the water pan.

3. should i put it in a pan to catch the drippings?

4. Since I am pulling it anyway, would I be better off cutting the brisket in half?

5. Who is going to win the game?

What I gather is there is no sense in introducing smoke after internal temp is higher than 165 and I should dedicate 1.5 hours per pound to reach 205 internal temp if I can maintain 225 smoker temp.

I have a homemade smoke generator so I really dont have to open the door except to spritz or mop, I was thinking ever 1.5 hours or maybe even every 2.

I also am planning on a couple of ducks toward the end of the smoke as well, and maybe a can of spam.

I think I'm getting an addiction.

Thanks a bunch

15 poung brisket sounds like an over night cook to me - I usually figure at least 1.5 hours/pound then I add a couple of hours to that. If it gets done sooner then you think it will throw it in a cooler, nothing worse then having hungry folks looking at you and wanting to know when they are going to eat.

I don't know anything about your cooker so I am not going to even venture a guess there.

The first brisket I did I mopped - haven since and never looked back.

I picked Da Bears... hope they don't let me down...

Good luck!

Yea 15 lb brisky is gonna take a long time. Personally I like the water pan. As for a pan under the brisket thats a matter of choice

Last packer I did was just over 14 hours and it took somewhee around 15 hours to finish, though I wasn't pulling I was slicing, you could separate the flat from the point and make a surprise side dish and make some burnt ends.
Never mopped anything, I have a brand new mopping brush in the cabinet but have always spritzed, no reason why I just haven't done it, guess I should.
Who is gonna win the game? Dunno, not a football fan (blasphemy I know)

Thanks, he just brought the brisket over, this should be interesting. The fat layer on this seems pretty thick, should i trim some of it down?

Thanks

Packers will win. That is just the way it goes. Good luck with the brisket and post up pics of the results!
biggrin.gif

I trim it down to 1/4 inch or less.

Here is a 19 pounder that i trimmer 8 pounds off-this was practice for a competition.Little radical,but experiment

Fell asleep and she went to 210 internal-but excellent

You can also foil at 165-or when you get color you want.Much quicker this way....

Figured I would compromise a little and trimmed about 2 lbs of fat off off it. There is still plenty.

With the water pan trying to stablize rack temp to 225. its getting cooler now so it should be a bit easier.

I guess i now have time to reasearch smokeing a duck and finding a recipe for a good cajun finishing sauce.

Pour a beer in that water pan. The smell of the beer and smoke is awesome. Not sure it really does anything to the meat, other than make the folks around you even hungrier. I spritz now.. easier, and quicker than the mop. Apple juice is all I use. I know your out of time this time, but doing a rub on the Brisket helps with the bark, and general flavor. I rest mine in the fridge 24 hours with the rub on and wrapped in cling wrap. Good luck and keep us updated.

Another hour the brisket has only been on for 3 hours and the internal temp is already 132 degrees is this normal? I will check my temp probe next time i turn it to make sure it is still in a good place.

ellymae if you picked the Bears then you don't have to cook such a large roast. disappointed people don't tend to eat as much....hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!:biggrin :
tongue.gif
icon_mrgreen.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
:PDT_Arm ataz_01_05:

Nickel,

I'm right down the street from you in Orland Park. I am also doing a cookout tomorrow for the Bears-Packers game. I got a 7lb corned beef brisket, 4 FREE slabs of BBs (compliments of Rosebud Restaurants my buddy works for) chicken quarters, and ABTs. Good luck with everything, and post the Q.

That's pretty fast to reach 132 at 3 hours.

Wait for the stall..... what is your grate temp?

Gnu - I've always been an Eagles fan so what do I know about Da Bears???
icon_wink.gif

Have a maverick 73 grate probe stuck through a piece of potato reading around 220 to 226 and now internal temp reads 142 moved probe to make sure it is in the thick part. I have been turning and spritzing every hour.

Thanks

Thing are still steady on the rise, I would rather finish early and pull it and put in a slow cooker than be late.

Yes it's normal! My Briskets typically hit 140 in the first couple hours. It kind of freaks you out, but you will likley go through 2 plateau's before it's all said and done.. Just keep the temps 210 to 225 and dont be tempted to crank them up during the plateau's. Kind of glad I dont have a favorite football team.. Looks like football interfears with smokin up dead critters...
biggrin.gif

Everything sound good so far there nickel. With all the help you are having everything will be great for the game.

I got some education last night in the Chat room.

I was not aware that a whole brisket is called a "packer" lol,

Looks like its done, foiled at 165 and took it to 205, finished about 6:30 this morning. Cooking time almost 13 hours. Guess I overestimated my time i was thinking it was going to take about 20+or so.

I let it sit for a few hours so I could get a nap, then wrapped in towels and put in cooler. I will watch the temp and pull it in a few hours.

I will Qview as soon as I find my picture bucket password

Great to hear that....Yep-called a PACKER-LOL...

Foiling definetly speeds up process...You can make au jus with drippings.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky