Beans for 100 people???????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fishawn

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Olympia, WA
I've been appointed the "Bean man" for my friends Breast Cancer Benefit Barbecue dinner. He is expecting around 100 guests. Anyone have any estimates on how many gallons, or pounds of beans I should be bringing? I have 30 cans (52.5 pounds) of Bush's baked beans right now. Does about a 1/2 pound per person sound about right? Thanks!

I really don't have a clue but that sounds like alot of beans per person. I would think it would be like half of that and that would be alot

I don't know how many pounds but we had almost a 18 quart roster between 3/4 and full of calico beans and fed around a 125 people and they where gone

The normal serving size for baked beans is a half of a cup. Roughly 4.58 ounces or 130 grams.
Half pound is a lot of beans.

Here's like 85 billion tons of information.
That sounds like a lot! :)

Lots of good planning info. Pics are obsolete and gone but scroll down for size recommendations on meats, sauces and there is a section on BEANS as well. You'll have to scroll for it but it's there

http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/b1039-w.html

well, what the heck, here's what they say on beans.
Baked Beans

100 portions .................10 portions
20 lbs. (3 #10 cans) .........2 pounds ...............pork and beans, canned
10 medium ......................1 medium ...............onions, diced
7 cups ............................2/3 cup .................brown sugar
3 pints ............................2/3 cup .................catsup
4 ounces.......................... 2 tsp. ..................Worcestershire sauce
6 ounces ..........................2 Tbsp. ................prepared mustard
1/4 pound .........................2 strips ................sliced bacon

Mix ingredients and place in two or three inch deep baking pan. Lay bacon on top. Bake at 350 degrees F for one hour.

I hope this looks ok in the post and all garbled up.
V

EDIT: ONE THING FURTHER - - -
I have in my hands a #10 of Bush's Best Baked Beans w Bacon & Brown Sugar.
Total 117 oz ( 7 lb, 5 oz) [3.32 kg]
Label Says: Serving Size 1/2 Cup (130 g) - NICE Call KC
Servings in the #10 Can = 26

Thanks to all of you, I think I am "Overbeaned" for this party. Oh well, they will have a canned bean supply at their lake house for the next 10 years!

Fishawn, you in the natural gas industry by chance
biggrin.gif

im with richt i want to be nowhere round that party!!! lol
and unless you got good insurance better snuff out any open flames!! lol
wink.gif

Thanks for all the help. Now, I personally, eat very few beans, but I would love to do DUTCH'S beans, but don't have the time between now & Saturday. Is there anything i can do to the 20# - 50# of Bush's baked beans that would make them a little "better".......Remember, this is for the "average" guy/gal......I will try to get some "party view" shots if I can. I have also been nominated to be "Charcoal Chicken BBQ Boy" along with my good buddy host. I will be the one with the Don't F*?k with New Orleans apron on if I get some shots.

Sautee some onions and bacon till just white not brown or crisp, add some of your fav BBQ Sauce, like KC Masterpiece, brown sugar, molasses, liq smoke, garlic powder, and some Lemon pepper or your fav seasoning. I have done this years before recently smoking.

It will save your a$$.
Good luck!

You are very welcome, glad to have helped.

Well the bbq or Boobieque as the girls called it was a huge success. Over $10,000.00 was raised at the party for breast cancer research. 40# of Brisket, 20 Chickens, 50# of Potatoe salad & all the trimmings were excellent. I was way over beaned with 52.5# of Bush's. There was probably 100-120 people & about 20# of beans were eaten. Anyway we had a lot of fun & all for a great cause.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky