BDSkelly ~ Weber Smokey Mountain 14.5" Unboxing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bdskelly

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 3, 2013
DFW North Texas
Chalk this one up to "A Guy just Cant Have Enough Gear".  Even though I built a Mini a number of years ago....  

(Step by Step Here: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...on-building-a-mini-weber-smokey-mountain-mwsm)

...I have always admired the smallest of the WSM group. Well this year the family came through with one for Christmas!

Now that Teri and I are empty nesters my cooking equipment is becoming smaller, more manageable and appropriate when cooking for the two of us.

Smaller high quality units are just the trick.  An example is the Lodge Cast-iron Hibachi I invested in this year. Awesome grill! (http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...ast-iron-sportsmans-grill-the-sumo-of-hibachi)

Oh... AND no worries... I still have the larger units for weekend smokes when the kids visit.  

Typical Weber the unit comes well packed to protect the WSM from scratches and dings. 

All necessary hardware, instructions and a very nice cover is included. 

Tools required are a screwdriver and pliers or an adjustable wrench.  Total build time was 17 minutes!

In comparing the 14" WSM to the mini you will notice a slight hight difference and a narrower body. 

The main difference however is a much larger charcoal hopper.  ...Id guess about twice the capacity of my mini. 

The first seasoning burn on the unit proved it to be a great little smoker. Temperatures were stable and heat above 225 held steady for about 6 hours using B&B briquettes. Amazing.

If you are looking for a great small factory built unit I'd say the one is a great choice!

Brian  

Last edited:
Reactions: foamheart
Thanks for the post Brian, feels like Christmas again!

Makes me want to get one 
icon14.gif

Only thing I don't like and haven't changed yet is that the charcoal ring doesn't have a bottom, besides the charcoal grate. Makes shaking ash a pain. I will be adding a bottom to mine.

Nice B! Congrats on the new rig! Looks like It was a Merry Christmas, Brother! And I gotta agree...a guy just never has enough gear!

Happy smoking my Friend!

Red

Brian, morning.....  He who has the most smokers/BBQ's, wins the game of life....   You, my friend, are gaining on the rest of us...   Time to hit the box store for close-outs...

This exact WSM Model is what I received for Christmas.  However, I have not yet taken it out of the box and assembled it.  I will probably do that Saturday on my only day off (I work 3 jobs).  After that, I am not sure what to do besides the "burn in".  I am quite nervous.  I have smoked before on my charcoal grill with chips in pouches, but have not mastered temp control.  Of course, the Kingsford grill I have has a lot of air leaks I think that continue to fuel the fire.

Brian, morning.....  He who has the most smokers/BBQ's, wins the game of life....   You, my friend, are gaining on the rest of us...   Time to hit the box store for close-outs...
It's just a toy my friend. But it sure cook well! b

This exact WSM Model is what I received for Christmas.  However, I have not yet taken it out of the box and assembled it.  I will probably do that Saturday on my only day off (I work 3 jobs).  After that, I am not sure what to do besides the "burn in".  I am quite nervous.  I have smoked before on my charcoal grill with chips in pouches, but have not mastered temp control.  Of course, the Kingsford grill I have has a lot of air leaks I think that continue to fuel the fire.
Follow the instructions in the box.  Good advice is on the Weber site too.  You won't fail!  This unit is easy to work with. b

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky