BBQ Guru not maintaining higher temps?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bsimms89

Original poster
Jun 1, 2015
Hey everyone, I've been using a BBQ guru with a pit bull fan on my OK Joe Longhorn for about 3 years now and never had any problems with it. I know the OK Joe isn't a great smoker by any means but I've sealed it all up, have tuning plates set up and it's always worked well for me, I've had no problem in the past even running it in 30 degrees with snow on the ground. I just had a period where i didn't use it for about 6 months and just used it about a week ago for some baby back ribs, and the smoker was struggling to make it up to 220 degrees. At first I thought it was because it was cold and damp out but I'd never had that problem before. Today I am trying to make chicken wings and thighs and it is struggling to get to even 250 (usually I do ribs at 250 and chicken at 300) I'm trying to get it to 300 but it seems like it has no shot at getting there.

When I open the fire box everything ignites fast, but as I close the lid i can see most of the coals and splits extinguish, I feel like it just isn't getting enough air? Has anyone ever had a pit bull fan lose fan speed over time? The fan is running, but idk if it is moving as much air as it used to. I am considering getting a new fan and running them both off a splitter but I've never needed 2 fans before. I've seen posts where people have said their fans just stopped working, but mine is running but definitly isn't moving enough air (yes I have checked the damper in the fan is completely open). Does anyone have any suggestions or have had a similar experience?

I would call BBQ Guru.
It sounds like the fan is not working correctly.
Especially since it has worked in the past.
The pit bull fan should be plenty of air for your smoker.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky