BBQ Champs Video

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

insight

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
I am curious as to what the experts here on the boards think of the techniques used by these gents regarding their treatment of the BBQ rib. I find it interesting and worth a try! Thanks in advance.

I'm no expert, but thought the brown sugar coat was interesting. I have the sugar in my rubs so I don't do that but it'd be cool to try sometime.

That brown sugar method was something else. I was under the impression that sugar carmelizes thereby making your meat come out darker. I guess this is not true with smoking. I didn't like the way the ribs were tearing apart though. Maybe using this method & smoking for three hours at 250° instead might work for a better tug?? Thoughts on that anyone? You know, if this catches on, there won't be too many people using a 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 method anymore. Although, some people are just stubborn in the way they prepare their food & stand by their methods no matter what. I think I will try this method next, of course posting the qview of the results & see what happens.

This is how I make my pork ribs. I started doing it about 5 years ago and never looked back. I may have seen this on TV before I don't know I remember the first time I made ribs this way rub brown sugar rub my wife said don't change a thing so as long as momma is happy I am happy. They don't turn out as sweet as you think and get some great bark.

Here is a pic of some Baby Backs after the sugar has liquefied..then I do a small sprinkle of rub and off in the smoker I go. One step I left out is I rb put in the refrigerator over night pull out put brown sugar and then more rub.

Ill probably give this method a shot to see how it turns out. However, I'm not sure I like the idea of the brown sugar pulling moisture out of the meat. Any thoughts on that? Ill probably do mine a little lower and a little longer too.

I am far from an expert, but I thought it was salt that would pull moisture from food if placed on the outside. I wouldn't think a sugar-based product would.

While salt certainly repels moisture, sugar can actually soak it up, drawing it out of the meat. They even state that the sugar draws out the moisture to form a molasses that coats the ribs. Unless the moisture was coming from another source, there is no other way, without being heated first, that brown sugar would take that form. I've never eaten ribs cooked this way, so it could be a possibility that the molasses forms a coat which actually seals in the remaining moisture, making them more moist. I plan on trying this on some BBs this weekend to see how it works out. I'll probably do six hours at 225 though.

On the salt thing though... I watched an episode of No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain (I think, could have been Andrew Zimmern) where they completely covered a fish in sea salt to keep the moisture in while they cooked it. Im not sure where the line is drawn as to when moisture is withdrawn or sealed in when using salt. Ill let someone more scientifically inclined weigh in on that one.

Very interesting, I wonder though if all that sugar makes it too sweet ? From what I saw & heard I guess not, but would be cautious not to ruin a bunch of meat
icon_surprised.gif
Oh well, we can all wait to hear from someone else try this out and report back.

Cheers,
Scott

according to these guys i been cooking championship ribs for a good while.
We like sweet stuff. I been packing the sugar on my ribs even b4 i started smoking. I use dark brown sugar as it has a higher molasses content.
It takes very little moisture to liquefy the sugar and imho it seals the meat and actually keeps it from drying out.
I use this method on most all the pork that i smoke.
the mop i make also contains molasses and brown sugar along w/ apple juice and bourbon.

Wanted to comment on this method.  I use a somewhat modified method of this.  My rub is heavy with brown sugar, and I generally let the ribs sit with rub for at least 1 hour.  This method only pulls out a small amount of moisture, while allowing the brown sugar to dissolve down.  Using this method I was able to win the one and only competition I have entered as an amateur, and was told by one judge mine were the best they ate all day as compared to the pro teams.  Don't mean to brag, but I was pretty darn proud of that.  And I attribute that success to the rub I used.  Give it a try, you may find that you have a new method to use, and if you don't at least you get some bombtastic ribs out of the experiment.

I too started with the brown sugar on the ribs.  I did it because Alton Brown showed it on Good Eats with the ribs he cooked in the oven.  The sugar starts to liquify very quickly.  Sugar actually has a higher osmotic draw than salt in the same concentration.  The amount of moisture loss is minimal, and it certainly would have been lost during the cooking process anyway.  Once in solution, because of drawing of the water...the sugar and the salt in the rub should move to areas of lower concentration, i.e., into the meat, much like a brine.

Darrin

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky