• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

BBQ Beef Brisket In A Dutch Oven

thirdeye

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
Very interesting. How much of a smoky flavor does the brisket pick up? Where did you get those tongs, they look very handy?

And since the fat cap works as an insulator from the heat, and you have coals on top and on the bottom.... should the brisket be cooked fat side up or fat side down?

5GRILLZNTN

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 12, 2018
That is interesting. I give you kudos for trying it. The only issue I see is that just about everybody on this forum has some type of smoker already, and is used to doing brisket in one of those. Having said that, it's always cool to see different ways of cooking stuff. Great video, and that brisket does look good!

Dave

Dutchy

Joined Jun 15, 2020
Very interesting. How much of a smoky flavor does the brisket pick up? Where did you get those tongs, they look very handy?

And since the fat cap works as an insulator from the heat, and you have coals on top and on the bottom.... should the brisket be cooked fat side up or fat side down?
The tongs are from a fire side kit.

I put fat side up, this way it keeps the Brisket more moist.

Dutchy

Joined Jun 15, 2020
That is interesting. I give you kudos for trying it. The only issue I see is that just about everybody on this forum has some type of smoker already, and is used to doing brisket in one of those. Having said that, it's always cool to see different ways of cooking stuff. Great video, and that brisket does look good!

Dave
Hi Dave, thanks for the comment, yeah it’s just a different way of cooking and the Forum has a Cast Iron section, so thought I would try something different.
I also have any Meat Smokers of different designs that I use.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
All I gotta say is it sure looks tender & juicy!
I have done them in a crock pot with the same results, except no smoke flavor.
The best way I have found is to smoke them to 150 IT, then SV at 155 for 24 hours.
That way you get the smoke, bark, & tenderness!
Al

Dutchy

Joined Jun 15, 2020
All I gotta say is it sure looks tender & juicy!
I have done them in a crock pot with the same results, except no smoke flavor.
The best way I have found is to smoke them to 150 IT, then SV at 155 for 24 hours.
That way you get the smoke, bark, & tenderness!
Al
Hi Al, I also SV meats, but just had to give this a try!

plj

Meat Mopper
Joined Feb 7, 2009
I cook brisket 3 ways, depending on circumstances:
1) smoker. Best result (imo).
2) sous vide, finish on the grill. Close second, almost eliminates the timing issues. I'm actually going to be cooking one this way for tomorrow night :)
3) Cast Iron Dutch Oven. I've done it this way for years, learned it from the old guys back in the 60s. Its ideal when we're camping & dont have a smoker or electricity, but the DO is always in the kit. As with many DO recipes, its over simplified - put the meat on a trivet/wire rack, dump a jar of chili sauce on top, add a few drops of liquid smoke, and cook away. Not quite the same as a smoker, but it comes out great... I mean, its brisket, right! We usually serve it on steak rolls with onions & cheddar. (Note: the same recipe works for DO ribs, but not quite as well as the brisket.)

Dutchy, I like what you did with the foil wrapped dust/chips, whats your opinion of that technique? Did you see much smoke? Did the chips get soggy quickly? Did you crack the lid to let the smokey air flow? I may have to try that.

Dutchy

Joined Jun 15, 2020
I cook brisket 3 ways, depending on circumstances:
1) smoker. Best result (imo).
2) sous vide, finish on the grill. Close second, almost eliminates the timing issues. I'm actually going to be cooking one this way for tomorrow night :)
3) Cast Iron Dutch Oven. I've done it this way for years, learned it from the old guys back in the 60s. Its ideal when we're camping & dont have a smoker or electricity, but the DO is always in the kit. As with many DO recipes, its over simplified - put the meat on a trivet/wire rack, dump a jar of chili sauce on top, add a few drops of liquid smoke, and cook away. Not quite the same as a smoker, but it comes out great... I mean, its brisket, right! We usually serve it on steak rolls with onions & cheddar. (Note: the same recipe works for DO ribs, but not quite as well as the brisket.)

Dutchy, I like what you did with the foil wrapped dust/chips, whats your opinion of that technique? Did you see much smoke? Did the chips get soggy quickly? Did you crack the lid to let the smokey air flow? I may have to try that.
Hi Paul, I too cook Briskets in many different ways, but this was for a Cast Iron Wednesday Challenge, BBQ! So thought why not BBQ in a Dutch Oven!

I got smoke for the first 30 minutes, then the dust did get a bit soggy.

I did use one of my Lid Spacers,

thirdeye

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
X8e0NPS.jpg

I didn't have a brisket in the freezer, but I did thaw a 3# chuck roast intended for an oven pot roast, but decided to break out my Dutch oven and at least do it brisket style..... I injected it with 4 ounces of Big Poppa Cattle Prod, then used their Cash Cow and some Montreal Steak seasoning. I smoked it with cherry and hickory for about 4 hours, then into the Dutch oven with a couple ounces of beef broth and onion slices to keep it off the bottom. I cooked it to sliceable tender when probing and was surprised to pull a 204° internal. I live at 5400' elevation so that is rare. I rested in a hot box for 2.5 hours. It was smoky, beefy and so good I'll be repeating this for sure.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.