BBQ and Smoking Meat

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by rcav, Mar 16, 2006.

1. rcav

rcav Newbie

Cooking is a learning curve that never ends....unless you stop listening. My problem is I live in the Northeast and have less time to enjoy it.
    Photo is of a Beef shoulder on my homemade rig.
    [​IMG]

2. dutch

dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

rcav, Welcome to Smoking Meat Forums!! I used to have a barrel smoker/grill, mine was made from a 30 gal drum and worked fine cuz all I ever fed off of it was ME! :p

Nice set up with the rotisserie and the beef sure looks good. I remember boning and tying quite a few of those in my meat cutting days.

3. jlloyd99

jlloyd99 Meat Mopper OTBS Member

rcav, did you build that rig from your own design or follow one on the web? The reason I ask is the boy is interested in building a new smoker and is having trouble finding plans that he likes. Any advice?

4. rcav

rcav Newbie

It is my own design. I opened the bottom of the drum for the coals and to increase the turn radius for the spit, the foil pans stop flair ups and add moisture. Hard to see in the pics I posted, will try to add more.[​IMG][​IMG]

5. rcav

rcav Newbie

Try, try again.. The space in the center is open to the ground to prevent flairups
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. jlloyd99

jlloyd99 Meat Mopper OTBS Member

Thanks rcv. I'll have to tell Ben to give this thread a gander. He'll probably get some good ideas.

7. larry maddock

larry maddock Master of the Pit OTBS Member

yo rcav dude,
    very interesting-
    very way cool.

my brain doesnt hardly think original thoughts.

but i seem to be able to learn as i listen to
    the experiences of other people.

im thinking about your design

8. rcav

rcav Newbie

I was able to post some pics of the barrel in my album for the people interested in the design.