BBB Time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Been a few years since i did any BBB.

Here is my mix.

NOTE: I am using cure #2. Please do not attempt this recipe if you are not familiar with the cure process using cure #2.

Top row.

3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar

1/4 cup kosher

1/3 cup molasses (un sulfured)

Bottom from left

1 Tbs onion powder

1 Tbs Garlic powder

1 tsp cure 2

OPT 1.5 tsp liquid smoke

7451dfe0_bbb.jpg

Use a large zip baggy and combine all the above in the baggy and mix well.

Here is my first pork chunk for BBB. I will tie this later.

a9ca5967_bbb1.jpg

In the bag with the ingredients. Roll the pork around good to coat. The kosher will start to draw any liquid from the pork.

401348dd_bbb3.jpg

Here is my 2nd chunk. This one i cut flat and will roll and tie later. Use the same way here as above.

f236f638_bbb4.jpg

Now date the bags, take as much air as you can out and seal. Flip the bags over 1 time daily. The mix will get loose and thin.

These will fridge for 2 weeks. After the 2 weeks i will rinse and tie ready for hanging/smoking.

961f79e3_bbb5.jpg

Cant wait as normal. Got the flat BBB out and rinsed off. Letting it water soak for the 2 hours then into the smoker. Going with peach smoke.

4889a044_fbbb.jpg

Going for a hang for an hour to dry it up some, then peach smoke.

Got the BBB sliced.

Gotta taste so fry some up.

Taste is good.

Got the other slab of BBB out from the brine and rinsed.

ef311dfc_tb.jpg

Going to give it a 2 hour soak in cold water before i hang and smoke.

3a6dcdea_tb1.jpg

Hey Nepa's, I'm attempting my first BBB. Was reading your post here & wondering, do you hang it to dry to form the pellicle? Are you cold smoking it while its hanging? I will be hot smoking mine to 150 got it in the frige right now trying to get some pellicle on it?

Hey Nepa's, I'm attempting my first BBB. Was reading your post here & wondering, do you hang it to dry to form the pellicle? Are you cold smoking it while its hanging? I will be hot smoking mine to 150 got it in the frige right now trying to get some pellicle on it?

Sometimes i hang, sometimes i just let it sit on the rack at room temp or in fridge (depends on how lazy i am) HA

This BBB i just left on the rack to dry up.

35814f51_TBBB.jpg

Got the bar out and hanging in my Bradley 6 rack.

ca3b6315_bbbhamz.jpg

I have a PID that runs my Bradley and a fan in the rear. The fan has a rear mounted fan (outside) that rotates back to keep the motor cool. I have constant even cabinet temps.

Here is the fan, It looks like its not turning but it is.

5e7a1c49_bbbf.jpg

Got the AMZNPS smoking away.

fe718ea4_bbbamznpsb.jpg

Decided to slice today and vac seal.

Ready to untie.
84f1558c_bbbty.jpg

Ready to slice.
2e4798fd_bbbun.jpg

Here is the sliced BBB
c7beea8e_bbbfin.jpg

dc06a18e_bbbfin2.jpg

fd5ce155_bbbfin3.jpg

Now if my wife dont look in the garage freezer then these will go to FL Gathering with me next month.
1e668a2a_bbbfin1.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky