BBB (my first) FINAL Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinhusker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
So I've seen all the threads lately about BBB and I had to give it a try. Got the pork butts on sale for $1.49 lb - 2 in a cryovac. 

I boned and butterflied one butt into 2 pieces.

ca6bc370_DSC_0126resize.jpg

I made 2 different cures. The first cure I put on the piece in the bottom of the pic and used Hi Mtn Buckboard Bacon Cure with additional 1/4 cup of honey and 1/3 cup maple syrup. Went into the fridge on 1/29/2012, massaged and turned every day. 

Out of the fridge, rinsed, soaked 30 minutes in ice water, rinsed again and patted dry.

c8d6ff15_DSC_0174resize.jpg

d9f59a21_DSC_0175resize.jpg

Cut some uneven pieces off for the fry test.

db22aec2_DSC_0179resize.jpg

No salty taste and could definitely taste the honey and maple. Brushed some additional maple syrup on it and now sitting in front of a fan to dry a bit. 

I've never cold smoked bacon but going to give it a shot with maple and maybe a bit of mesquite. 

See you all when it's done!

Last edited:
Al Swearingen, BBB is Buck Board Bacon, it is made from Boston butt. For me it is a better bacon, but I haven't made any from belly's yet either
th_HaHAAHaa.gif
....I can make it cheaper than belly bacon too..... @ SmokinHusker Looking good  !!!!! I just need some mine is in the frig. curing as we speak and I'm out !!!! Let me know how it turns out, I've been curious about the Hi mountain cures. I have some what been following Pops recipe, I have cut back on the salt/sugar and adding garlic and onion powder....I let a couple friends of mine try it and I can't keep any in the freezer any more !!!! I makes a lot when you make it, just don't give any away....they will be knocking on your door when they smell smoke looking for some more....LOL 

Youre gonna love it, SmokinHusker!

Al - BBB is buckboard bacon. It's making "bacon" from pork butt. It's really good!

Thanks everyone! I am excited to get it finished so I can give it a try!!!!
Looking good!  How many pounds was that?
Thank you! This one is 3.5 lbs, the one I'm doing tomorrow with heat is 4 lbs. 

Shoneyboy - I've done belly bacon with Tender Quick and Hi Mtn...we prefer the Hi Mtn as it doesn't taste as salty. The first time I used TQ, I soaked it for 1 1/2 hrs and it was still very salty tasting to us, but we don't use much salt. I've only had to soak the Hi Mtn for 30 min every time I've used it. 

Gersus - I like the product from my fry test!!! So I'm thinking with the smoke this is going to be heaven.

Big Andy - The 4 lb piece I did the Hi Mtn but only added additional brown sugar and I'm going to dust with black powder. Also going to smoke it with heat to IT of 155* or so, that way when hubby gets home this weekend we can try both and see which we like better - cold smoking or hot smoking. 

cc357703_DSC_01853hrsresize.jpg

This is after 3 hrs of maple smoke and the temp in the smoker is holding at 70* (Since we still have quite a bit of the 16-18 inches of snow on the ground and the outside temp is 40*, I did pre heat it to 100* and then turned it off.)

Okay slowed down long enough to get the pics off my phone of it finished. Haven't sliced it yet, I'll do that after Hubby gets home. So the question I have is do I slice it lengthwise or crosswise? Which is better? I slice by hand so fitting on a slicer isn't an issue. 

I cold smoked this one 14 hours with maple wood and threw in about 1/2 cup of mesquite towards the end. It smells great and can't wait to try it.

fb6c1a56_DSC_0195resizedone.jpg

d2acbb09_DSC_0221coldsliced.jpg

b6667133_DSC_0223coldhoneymaplesliced.jpg

This is the honey and maple syrup cured and cold smoked. All sliced and final amount was almost 3 lbs.

5bdbc072_DSC_0208originalhotsmoke.jpg

This is the brown sugar cured on the smoker. I decided to hot smoke this one.

026d7f49_DSC_0210originaldone.jpg

All finished and ready for slicing.

eb66bf86_DSC_0213originalslices.jpg

8779d2af_DSC_0216originalallsliced.jpg

Brown sugar hot smoked all sliced. Final amount was 3.5 lbs

Both taste great, just haven't decided whether we like cold smoking or hot smoking it better.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
The 4 lb piece I did the Hi Mtn but only added additional brown sugar and I'm going to dust with black powder.

Thanks for looking!
Black powder? This will be explosively good!  I can't wait to see the finished pics. I've heard of buck board bacon but never have I tried it or realized it was just pork butts. Damn, I just had 80lbs of pork butts a few weeks ago!!! Why didn't anyone suggest BBB? LOL I made 75lbs of sausage instead!

What's the advantage over BBB vs Pork Belly Bacon? It should be a lot meatier and less fatty..right?

BBB is generally cheaper and meatier except for those who grow little piggies.

Black powder?  Now I am thinking saltpeter?  I don't think I want to go there?

Good luck and good smoking.

Thanks for looking and all the great comments.

Hubby didn't want the other one with black pepper on it soooo, none this time but I have 4 more butts!  Still have to upload the other piece that I took to 140*.

I found it even after all the smoke! Finished frying up some about 2 minutes before Hubby walked in the door! Nice plateful and he ate it all!
Try to slice across the grain if you can find it after all that smoke.

BBB is generally cheaper and meatier except for those who grow little piggies.

Blackpowder?   Now I am thinking saltpeter?  I don't think I want to go there?

Good luck and good smoking.
Venture, I was thinking the same thing.  I've been around the block a few times myself with the smoker and I must have missed the class about black powder seasoning. LOL. 

Smokin Husker, got BBB, loin, and bellies curing as we speak and I had a couple of questions about flavorings and times to apply and you answered them.  I appreciate the info.

Ok folks, I fixed my typo! Black pepper not black powder!!!! 
biggrin.gif
 I was reading the black powder hunting regs and emailing Hubby that we can submit our applications! Gonna unload the pics this evening and I'll get the sliced pics up!!!! 

Thanks for looking 

Ok folks, I fixed my typo! Black pepper not black powder!!!! 
biggrin.gif
 I was reading the black powder hunting regs and emailing Hubby that we can submit our applications! Gonna unload the pics this evening and I'll get the sliced pics up!!!! 

Thanks for looking 
No offince, but when I read this, I could just see someone with the black powder all over their meat in the smoker and POOF !!!!  It's done..........
th_HaHAAHaa.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky