BB 3-2-1 or 2-2-1

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Which method of baby backs do you prefer?

• 3-2-1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2-2-1

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xzebra

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 9, 2013
First let me start by saying I am a newbie to smoking and with my purchase of a MES 30 I had a few questions to those long time smokers.  

1) I have heard many say to use the 3-2-1 method, yet others say to use the 2-2-1 on baby back ribs.  Which method do you use and why?  

2)  What kind of wood do you use?  

3)  Some say to spray apple juice on them during the first step.  Would you do this?  If so how often and how much?  What about clean up?  Seems like it would get pretty sticky. 

Thanks for all of your kind help!  
smile.gif

Last edited:
I would do 2-2-1 for baby backs.  3-2-1 is more for spares since they have more meat.  I mainly use apple wood, with a little peach, but will add some hardwoods at times like hickory.  If you use a hard wood like hickory or oak, use a 4-1 ratio.  4 pieces of fruit wood to 1 piece of hardwood.  I spray my ribs every hour with apple juice.  You can also mix apple juice with some oil or apple cider vinegar if you want.  When you wrap, you can cover the ribs with some more rub or brown sugar, some squeeze butter and some honey or agave.  I also spray the ribs before I close up the foil to give some more juices for the ribs to braise in. After you unwrap them, make sure you are careful because the meat will be very moist.  Putting them back on the smoker for another hour helps tighten them back up and crisps your bark but keeps the meat very tender.  Baste with sauce maybe 20 minutes before you pull them off, cut them up and enjoy.

I would do 2-2-1 for baby backs.  3-2-1 is more for spares since they have more meat.  I mainly use apple wood, with a little peach, but will add some hardwoods at times like hickory.  If you use a hard wood like hickory or oak, use a 4-1 ratio.  4 pieces of fruit wood to 1 piece of hardwood.  I spray my ribs every hour with apple juice.  You can also mix apple juice with some oil or apple cider vinegar if you want.  When you wrap, you can cover the ribs with some more rub or brown sugar, some squeeze butter and some honey or agave.  I also spray the ribs before I close up the foil to give some more juices for the ribs to braise in. After you unwrap them, make sure you are careful because the meat will be very moist.  Putting them back on the smoker for another hour helps tighten them back up and crisps your bark but keeps the meat very tender.  Baste with sauce maybe 20 minutes before you pull them off, cut them up and enjoy.
Great help and much appreciated.  One more question...what about the water pan?  How much water?

I have an MES 30 & smoke a lot of ribs. At 225* I do the 3-2-1 for spares & 2-2-1 for baby backs & they come out great every time.

I usually use oak for my ribs but once in a while I will use hickory or throw a little maple in with the oak. I have used pitmaster's choice a few times as well.

I do not spray or spritz - there is no need for it the way I do them & you lose heat & extend cook time every time you open up your smoker. I use Chef JimmyJ's foiling juice most of the time & it is good stuff  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/110881/foiling-juice-chef-jimmyj  Give it a try 
smile.gif

I do not use any water in my pan either for lots of reasons. If you want something in your pan you can put play sand in it & cover it with foil. That works much better as a thermal mass than water 
thumb1.gif

I would also highly recommend getting an AMNPS for your MES - you won't regret it! 12 hours of thin blue smoke & you can cold smoke with it too 
biggrin.gif

I use a wood smoker using oak for heat and Hickory for a bit of taste. I do the 2-2-1, with a water pan inside and spray with apple juice / Black Jack. The outside temp down here in Florida does not let much heat out and the spray does add a bit to it in for my taste.   But the BB have a very small window form being done to falling off the bone. 

First let me start by saying I am a newbie to smoking and with my purchase of a MES 30 I had a few questions to those long time smokers.  

1) I have heard many say to use the 3-2-1 method, yet others say to use the 2-2-1 on baby back ribs.  Which method do you use and why?  

2)  What kind of wood do you use?  

3)  Some say to spray apple juice on them during the first step.  Would you do this?  If so how often and how much?  What about clean up?  Seems like it would get pretty sticky. 

Thanks for all of your kind help!  
smile.gif
 Sometime even 2-2-.5  Depends on thickness. Wood of choice, Cherry and Oak or Cherry and Pecan.  I spray with a Apple Juice/Wiser's Deluxe mixture and them more as I wrap. And lastly, what clean up? Grates get messy if you do or you don't.

Me? no water pan, no wood soaking, no spritzing, some AJ or my sauce in the foiling though. I find a good dry rubbing is more than enough for seasoning. And, IMO, I prefer St. Louis Style over BB's and them usually being a buck a pound less is a plus to me. Sauce is served on the side for rib dipping if it's wanted....double dipping is fine when everybody has their own bowl!! Have fun and enjoy those ribz....Willie

Thanks to all for your great feedback, ideas, and tips.  

This is a great site and wonderful when people help one another like they do here. 
439.gif

Me? no water pan, no wood soaking, no spritzing, some AJ or my sauce in the foiling though. I find a good dry rubbing is more than enough for seasoning. And, IMO, I prefer St. Louis Style over BB's and them usually being a buck a pound less is a plus to me. Sauce is served on the side for rib dipping if it's wanted....double dipping is fine when everybody has their own bowl!! Have fun and enjoy those ribz....Willie
I have had others say they like the St. Louis style ribs better too.  I personally have not had them before but would like to soon.

Amen----Couldn't have said it better!!!!

Sometimes I mix a little BBQ sauce with my AJ too, when foiling.

Bear

I would like to thank all those here for your help.  Last night I finally made my BB for the first time and they turn out pretty good.  I used my MES with no water in the pan and with the 2-2-1 method. As many of you had said above I did not spritz them and when I wrapped them I put BBQ sauce on them instead.  To me I thought they were a tad dry.  Any ideas on how to make them a bit more moist?  Should I spritz them next time or use a bit water in the pan?

Again thanks for all of your help - your guys/gals are great

I would like to thank all those here for your help.  Last night I finally made my BB for the first time and they turn out pretty good.  I used my MES with no water in the pan and with the 2-2-1 method. As many of you had said above I did not spritz them and when I wrapped them I put BBQ sauce on them instead.  To me I thought they were a tad dry.  Any ideas on how to make them a bit more moist?  Should I spritz them next time or use a bit water in the pan?

Again thanks for all of your help - your guys/gals are great
I never spritz or put water in the pan.

Maybe mix some AJ with your BBQ Sauce.

Here's what I use for 2 racks:

Apple Juice-----------------------------------4 ounces
Ken's Honey Teriyaki Marinade-------2 ounces
JD BBQ Sauce------------------------------2 ounces

Or substitute & mix 4 ounces of your favorite BBQ Sauce with the 4 ounces of Apple Juice.

Nuke it and stir it before putting it on.

Save and De-fat the juices for Au Jus.

Bear

I have an MES 30 & smoke a lot of ribs. At 225* I do the 3-2-1 for spares & 2-2-1 for baby backs & they come out great every time.

I usually use oak for my ribs but once in a while I will use hickory or throw a little maple in with the oak. I have used pitmaster's choice a few times as well.

I do not spray or spritz - there is no need for it the way I do them & you lose heat & extend cook time every time you open up your smoker. I use Chef JimmyJ's foiling juice most of the time & it is good stuff  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/110881/foiling-juice-chef-jimmyj Give it a try 
smile.gif

I do not use any water in my pan either for lots of reasons. If you want something in your pan you can put play sand in it & cover it with foil. That works much better as a thermal mass than water 
thumb1.gif

I would also highly recommend getting an AMNPS for your MES - you won't regret it! 12 hours of thin blue smoke & you can cold smoke with it too 
biggrin.gif
What is an AMNPS

I make bbr's pretty regularly and get compliments from most folks who eat 'em!

Remove membrane then I rub with EVOO, then apply a basic Brown Sugar based rub (BS, Salt, Pepper, Paprika (chipotle if I want it spicier), Garlic powder and onion powder) place in smoker at 225*F let 'em smoke for ~3.5 hours with out much fuss. Then the last hour I mop with BBQ sauce and let em smoke for an additional ~1 hour. They turn out moist and flavorful. Never too dry. I'm not competing, so I don't like to wrap my foods (crutch). I don't wrap anything anymore, for me takes away from the "smoking" part of this hobby! It's not a judgment thingy, just a personal preference.

All my smoke comes from the AMNTS (AMaze-N-Tube-Smoker). My favorite wood is maple but I use all different types of pellets (oak, peach, hickory, mesquite, cherry, pecan).

AMNPS= AMaze-N-Pellet-Smoker

~Brett

X-None of the above

Fire the smoker up and set to 225.....rub the ribs down and toss in the smoker.....don't bother looking for 5 hours. If not done at 5 hours keep on going and check every 30 minutes to see if they are done. Simple as that.

Last edited:
Reactions: goingcamping
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky