Basic questions about Fatty's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jefmker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
Lenexa, KS
Making some for the first time this week. I'm going to be using Mendolia's Italian Sausage, it's a local company here in KC and by far and away the best store bought Italian Sausage you can fine.

They are a bit on the spicy side so I was wondering about trying to sweeten them up a bit but not loose all the spice. I have seen some Cherry rubs that I would think give it some sweet flavor. I have heard some people use a brown sugar glaze they slather all over the outside. Not sure how to go about making the brown sugar glaze. i know since it's sugar it will harden/crust around the outside but not sure if I should mix it with water or just put it on.

Any suggestions as I'm new to smoking Fatty's.

Well fattys are usually a big fat breakfast sausage like Jimmy Dean.

I can't imagine other than throwing them in a sauce how you would get rid of the spice. But that's what I usually go for. They tend to seem spicer to me when smoked. I'd smoke em up plain and throw them in a good spagetti sauce!

Why donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t you try injecting them with a simple syrup, not as strong as maple though, or watered down honey!
icon_wink.gif

try soaking overnight in a beer like honey brown or sam adams' honey wheat w/ a tsp of brown sugar and garlic.... i wouldn't do a fattie outta italian sausage or a brat- why mess w/ perfection. like debi said- i do 2 jimmy dean or generic sausages,stuff w/ cheddar,provalone,jalapenos,&smoked garlic, wrapped & pic'd (toothpicked)w/ slab bacon(looks like a centipede)and splash guinness or killian's red over the top. comes out great....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky