Basic BBQ Rub - Used on ribs, chops, pork, chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

reardenreturns

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 1, 2011
Houston, Republic of Texas
This is a rub I developed. Again, nothing special, but it's damn tasty. Might be a little sweet for Texas tastes, but I like experimenting.

Basic BBQ Rub
1/4 c kosher flake salt
1/4 c packed dark brown sugar
1/4 c smoked paprika
3 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tbsp garlic powder (not garlic salt)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp celery seed

The celery seed here brings in some great flavors. Adjust cayenne to your desired spicy-ness level. ENJOY! :nana2:

[quote name="cliffcarter" url="/forum/thread/104042/basic-bbq-rub-used-on-ribs-chops-pork-chicken#post_601472"]
Looks like a Steve Raichlen recipe-

http://www.kitchendaily.com/recipe/basic-barbecue-rub-74181/
[/quote]

Exactly... i just cut down on the cayenne cause it was a bit too spicy for me an not quite as sweet as I'd like. Got the start from one of his books.

Last edited:
There are no original recipes - only variations of existing variations!  I will give this one a try, sounds like a good alternative.

When going into the battle of the palate - better to be well equipped than only bringing 1 bullet!

Reardon,try dropping the Celery and try ground Cloves , in moderation, a neat little change of pace
bluesbros.gif

Have fun and always,

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky