baron of beef roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmebey

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
We got a 1/3 of cow last year and now are down to the uncertain pieces of meat.

So what is a "baron of beef roast" good for?

Can it be smoked?

The Baron of Beef Roast was an evil dictator who ruled over the lands of German cattle country in 1783.
For the most part he was a good man but was known for beheading many of his citizens for overcooking their beef roasts, anything past medium and there would be a knock on the door and you just knew that the Baron had come to punish you for your roast but on the other hand he would reward you with a comely lass if your roast was a beautiful medium rare.

F.Y.I I was just pulling that out of my rear, I'm sure someone will be along who knows what that cut is good for.

OK, so from what Google told me a baron of beef roast is a top round roast so cook it however you would your top round.

I like to do them one of two ways, either a good seasoning then smoke till about med-rare or coat in a packet of dry Italian dressing mix, smoke for a few hours then into a foil pan with beef broth, another pack of the mix and onions, cover and cook till you can shred it, back into the juices for another half hour for some wonderful Italian beef.

and the answer is... what is a whole cattle a**
icon_redface.gif

Now thats a hunk of meat there now. I thought they called it a Clod of beef.???

From my research the "baron of beef" has two meaning's (see below).

unfortunately mine is the US cut.....so I would assume it is not that good, could be tough....so I was thinking of smoking it.

Any suggestions or experience?

==================== from http://www.ochef.com/562.htm
Depends on where you are (and Ochefers are all over the world thanks to this Internet thing). In Britain, a baron is a large, important section of beef containing both sirloins.
In the US, a baron of beef is an imprecise term used to describe large, less important cuts that are best-suited to roasting or braising, such as the steamship round, top (or inside) round, or bottom (or outside) round.
====================

Ah - that's why I didn't recognise the descriptions above - they call both languages english - but there's a lot of differences. If I got a baron (as we know them here) I'd roast 1/2 and cut the other 1/2 into sirloins.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky