"Banger", Maine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

denalieast

Original poster
May 15, 2015
Bangor, ME
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum.. My name is Steve, I live in Bangor, Maine, and yes, we are indeed a part of the United States!  I work in the mental health field, I'm into the outdoors and I love to fish.  I've also traveled a lot, lived in a lot of difference places, and eaten 'cue anywhere I've had the chance (from Maine to Florida, as far west as Iowa and as far east as Germany, and pretty much everywhere within the diameter of the circle on a map that I just detailed).

I'm a BBQ enthusiast, but I'm only a beginner to intermediate skill level in smoking.  So far I haven't been in a position to have one of my own (moving, college, etc.) so I've used other peoples' rigs whenever I could, but I'll be purchasing my first smoker within the next couple of weeks.  I have little experience with beef but I love smoking pork, chicken, and fish, and spent a lot of time researching and getting my baby back technique just perfect (wrote one of my college theses on a proper rib smoke as a matter of fact!). 

Yeah, I get hungry and look up tasty food.  Yes, that does inevitably lead to BBQ a lot of the time, and I find myself hyperfocused on articles, recipes, and techniques for hours at a time.  What started out as an interest became a hobby and quickly grew into an obsession.  I'm really looking forward to finally having my own setup so I can try what I've learned, practice what I know, and branch out into whole new experiences as well. 

My main love is ribs, good ol' dry rubbed and then sauce slathered tender ribs with a bit of pull and a nice pink ring.  I do also have a particular interest in taking standard things outside of their comfort zone by using non traditional ingredients, mixing cooking styles or techniques, etc.  Don't get me wrong, I love me some smoked bacon wrapped pork loin, but I also get curious about more obscure (and sometimes impossible) things like maybe a lobster and beurre blanc sausage that smokes at a temperature that won't break the emulsion. At least this is how my mind works in regular cooking... I guess from moving around a lot I just grew up with such a variety of influences that I end up being inspired to use x technique with y ingredients, often with mixed results.

Guess I could have summed that up saying I'm both a traditionalist and an adventurer.  As you can see, I tend to be long winded.  I apologize in advance!  That being said, I look forward to getting to know you all and sharing my experiences going forward!

~S.

No particular make or model so far, but for style I'm most interested in a horizontal smoker with a side firebox.  I've used mostly the UDS so far, and had great results specifically with a bullet style smoker, but I've seen the horizontal in action.. I really like the access you get to your meats as well as how finely you can play with the heat with a side firebox.  Any input?

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum, from a nice day here in East Texas. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

Welcome to SMF! :welcome:
We're glad to have you. The search bar at the top is your most valuable resource here. This forum has been around for over ten years, so there is a good chance that any questions you may have, have already been answered (they may have 10 different answers, but you'll get an instant response non the less).
Please be sure to post your smokes along with your process and recipes. We will be glad to help you along the way and we may also learn something new ourselves in the process. Also, don't forget the very important Q view! (We're mad for pics on here [emoji]128513[/emoji])
Always remember to have fun because it's not fun if you have to work at it.
Thanks for joining,
- Ryan

No particular make or model so far, but for style I'm most interested in a horizontal smoker with a side firebox.  I've used mostly the UDS so far, and had great results specifically with a bullet style smoker, but I've seen the horizontal in action.. I really like the access you get to your meats as well as how finely you can play with the heat with a side firebox.  Any input?
If you've got the money buy a good quality offset, if not then look at an Oklahoma Joe or a CharGriller. I have a CharGriller Smokin Pro, it requires a bit of tending and is not the best quality by any means but you can cook some fine BBQ on it.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!  I've actually got a message out right now about a Charbroil offset smoker that, with luck, I'll be picking up tomorrow!  As the summer progresses and I get my smokes on I'll make sure to post some photos.... Hopefully this season will be fruitful and I'll have a bunch of perch and trout trials.

~S.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky