Bamboo??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hawgheaven

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 5, 2007
This is probably a rilly stupid question, but someone asked me today if you can use bamboo to smoke. I didn't quite know how to answer that one... other than back in the 70's with a bamboo pipe and huka... but that's a different story.
PDT_Armataz_01_30.gif

Any thoughts?

Never seen it listed anywhere for smoking......good or bad. I would say burn some and see how it does........if it seems ok try a smoking piece of chicken or something cheap and see how it does.

Yeah, I never thought about using the stuff until a guy at work asked me if it would work. He has an abundance of it growing in his yard and has a large stack of it cut.

It seems to me that the stuff would burn quite quickly though, being that it is hollow. I dunno...
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif

Thats interesting Hawg,I started a stand of Bamboo five years ago and its really getting a good hold now.I dont know about the smoke,my advice would be give it a try unless someone finds out it will kill us.I know I felt a little nervous transporting a window van stuffed full of it through Parkersburg at the height of the hemp harvest season here in WV.

i don't see why it could kill .. i eat bamboo on occasion when i am at an oriental restaurant ...

i know it is loosly classified as an evergreen though

The general rule for smoking woods is, if it produces a fruit or a nut it's good to go. IIRC bamboo doesn't produce either one.

This stuff grows like weeds up here... I'm sure it is not the bamboo we are familiar with from the tropics, but it is bamboo. It gets to about 1 1/2" to 2" diameter, from what this guy is telling me.

I am gonna grab a few "stalks" of it and investigate it further. At the very least, it should make good tomatoe stakes!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky