Baked beans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin lou

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Chesapeake, VA
Try it... Bet you'll like it.

1 55 oz can Van Kamp or Campbells Pork and Beans -- Or any plain pork and beans.
1 large onion -- Coarsely chopped
1/2 pound bacon
4 hot dogs -- Thinly sliced
1/2 cup catsup
1/2 cup Bulls-Eye Original Barbecue Sauce
1/2 cup Brown sugar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup Texas Pete hot sauce
1 tablespoon Dry Mustard
Strain beans in large collander, removing most of the juice they were packed in.
Fry bacon in an oven proof pot until crisp. Remove from pan and set aside. When cool, chop coarsley.
Pour out most of the bacon fat, leaving a few tablespoons in the pot. Saute onion in bacon drippings until soft. Remove from heat.
Stir in all remaing ingredients except beans, hot dogs and bacon, until well blended.
Stir in beans and hot dogs.
Bake uncoverd in 325° oven until bubbly. Sprinke chopped bacon on top and put back in oven about 10 minutes.

You lost me with the hotdogs ... but why drain the beans is it that bad?

Instead of putting them in an oven, why not use your smoker?

Doesn't get bubbly, but has great smoky taste in about 3 to 4 hours ..eh?

LOML likes the hot dogs, I can take them or leave them. I drain the beans because the sauce that they come in doesn't have much flavor. I don't rinse them so some of the sauce staus in there. Also if you didn't drain them they would be too liquidy.

I like the idea of doing them in the smoker. I think i'll try that next time.

I love smoked baked beans, put a pan of beans in the smoker for a few hrs and its a delight, why would someone drain the bean blood "juice" thats what makes it what it is, baking takes away the water leaving all the bean blood goodness
icon_lol.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky