Bad news, need some input.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

confederateknowhow

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Shelbyville, KY
I had 10 pounds worth of venison roasts curing in a corning cure in my grandpa's walk-in cooler. All pieces were under water and would be ready to take out and package today. He called my yesterday and said that the cooler quit running at some point. We don't know when. The meat that he had hanging in there was bad. It got up into the 80's last week. The cooler is in his garage. He said he thought that my meat would be okay with it being cured, but I'm not sure. It doesn't smell bad, but with the pickling spices, I wonder if it's just masking any bad smell. What's your thoughts? Thanks for the help.

My thought is you already know that it should be heading to the burning pit or trash...

yeahthat.gif
........  Not much point getting sick twice over 1 piece of meat.....  once when you know it has gone bad and then when you eat it cause you don't want to throw it away..... 

I understand you hate to lose the meat, but it isn't worth risking your health.  Better safe than sorry!  You and your family are better off without it, this time.

Good luck!

My thought is you already know that it should be heading to the burning pit or trash...
Yeah, I do know. Just wanted the reassurance. It's a real bummer. I HATE that an animal that I harvested and worked so hard for has to go to waste. I'd rather not get sick though. I already made one trip to the E.R. when butchering it, along with my middle finger requiring stitches. On the bright side, I have 5, well, one pound of Jerky left from the animal. Thanks for reassuring me that I'm doing the right thing. Take care, and may God bless.

When in doubt throw it out, that's my motto when it comes to questionable food

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky