Bacon without Nitrites

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mattyoc20

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 11, 2013
Dresher PA
So my brothers wife just found out she is pregnant.  They love my bacon so for christmas i gave them about 10 lbs of bacon.  She went to the doctor and the doctor said she cannot have nitrates.  I am not sure what the difference between nitrates and nitrites are but im sure either one probably isn't good for her.  So my question is can bacon be made without nitrates or nitrites and if so what would the process be for doing so.  Thanks for the help.

Well what did you use to cure the bacon you gave them?

There are bacon's out there that say they don't use cure but in the fine print it states except those naturally occurring in Celery. Celery has natural sodium nitrite in it so its a natural cure.

In the end even using celery its got nitrites. I haven't read if there is a major difference in the natural vs what we use in cure#1.

Now the big reason they say to stay away from nitrates is the carcinogens that can be produced when nitrates are cooked at a high temp. Now that is another big debate in its self.

Anyways if you don't use cure weather natural or not you just have uncured pork belly and its not the same taste IMO

So my brothers wife just found out she is pregnant.  They love my bacon so for christmas i gave them about 10 lbs of bacon.  She went to the doctor and the doctor said she cannot have nitrates.  I am not sure what the difference between nitrates and nitrites are but im sure either one probably isn't good for her.  So my question is can bacon be made without nitrates or nitrites and if so what would the process be for doing so.  Thanks for the help.
I bet your brother would be happy to give the bacon back, she will be okay without Bacon, for the time she is  pregnant. No need to take any kind of chance IMHO

My brother said he is willing to sacrifice and eat it all himself.  Being the good brother that i am, i also offered to take it back

[h3]Did the doctor say, "Don't eat vegetables"...  nitrites left in meats, after cooking, are usually less than 100 Ppm...[/h3][h3]  [/h3][h3]Nitrates in Vegetables[/h3]
The following information about Nitrates in vegetables was published by MAFF, Department of Health and the Scottish Executive before April 1st 2000 when the Food Standards Agency was established. Number 158, September 1998. MAFF UK - NITRATE IN VEGETABLES: Vegetables contain higher concentrations of Nitrate than other foods and make a major contribution to dietary intake. A survey of vegetables for sale in supermarkets was carried out in 1997 and 1998 to provide up-to-date information on Nitrate concentrations, to assess the health implications for UK consumers and also to inform negotiations on a review of the European Commission Regulation (EC) No. 194/97 (which sets maximum levels for Nitrate in lettuce and spinach).

A study on the effects of cooking on Nitrate concentrations in vegetables was also carried out to provide further refinements for estimating dietary exposure. The vegetables were tested and the mean Nitrate concentrations found were as listed in the table on the right. For comparison the permissible amount of Nitrate in comminuted meat products (sausages) is 1718 mg/kg. If one ate 1/4 lb smoked sausage, the ingoing Nitrate would be 430 ppm. That would probably account for less Nitrates than a dinner served with potatoes and spinach.

In the 1920’s, the government allowed the addition of 10 lbs. of Nitrate to 100 gallons of water (7 lbs. allowed today). The problem was that only about one quarter of the meat plants adhered to those limits and many plants added much more, even between 70 and 90 pounds. There was no control and as a result the customer was eating a lot of Nitrates.

VegatableNitrate in mg/kg
spinach1631
beetroot1211
lettuces1051
cabbages  338
potatoes  155
swedes  118
carrots   97
califlowers   86
brussel sprouts   59
onions   48
tomatoes   17

Cooking by boiling reduced Nitrate concentrations in most of the vegetables tested by up to 75 percent. Frying and baking did not affectNitrate concentrations in potatoes but frying caused increases in levels in onions. Dietary intakes of mean and upper range (97.5 percentile) consumers of these vegetables are 104 mg/day and 151 mg/day, respectively. These are below the Acceptable Daily Intake (ADI) for nitrate of 219 mg/day for a 60 kg adult set by the European Commission’s Scientific Committee for Food (SCF). There are therefore no health concerns for consumers. Ten years later in 2008 another British study concluded: “Our research suggests that drinking beetroot juice, or consuming other Nitrate-rich vegetables, might be a simple way to maintain a healthy cardiovascular system, and might also be an additional approach that one could take in the modern-day battle against rising blood pressure,” says Amrita Ahluwalia, PhD, one of the study’s researchers. Ahluwalia is a professor at the William Harvey Research Institute at Barts and The London School of Medicine.

Your sister-in-law should ignore her doctor's advice and get it on this forums.

(That was sarcasm).

You can make smoked pork belly if you can smoke in cold (fridge) conditions. It won't taste like cured meat but is delicious.

Well what did you use to cure the bacon you gave them?

There are bacon's out there that say they don't use cure but in the fine print it states except those naturally occurring in Celery. Celery has natural sodium nitrite in it so its a natural cure.

In the end even using celery its got nitrites. I haven't read if there is a major difference in the natural vs what we use in cure#1.

Now the big reason they say to stay away from nitrates is the carcinogens that can be produced when nitrates are cooked at a high temp. Now that is another big debate in its self.

Anyways if you don't use cure weather natural or not you just have uncured pork belly and its not the same taste IMO
yeahthat.gif

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky