Bacon types

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin pop-pop

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
Allentown Pa.
Mornin' all,
Got another bacon ? , do you have to use pork belly to make bacon.
I am from NEPA and I am having one heck of a time finding pork bellies,
I saw some in a Costco a while back and told my wife that they have them
so when we are set up with the new work station we can start the process.
Well the new station is done and I haven't seen a belly since. Any suggestions
on another cut of meat that can be used ??

Buck board bacon. Bearcarver has a good step by step on that I believe. It's on my to do list. Just have not gotten to it yet. He also has a great Canadian bacon one as well.

Buckboard bacon is a little chewy for me, but Canadian bacon really rocks.
And it's very easy to make with Pops brine.
I haven't tried the ground & formed bacon, but everyone who has made it really seems to like it.
There are a bunch of choices, but none quite as good as belly bacon.
Try the meat dept. at your local grocery store. They will order a belly for you (at least mine does, Publix).
Asian markets usually carry them also, if you have one of those near you.
Also if you have a friend who works in a restaurant, that is a good source also.
Al

Thanks Al, I have a brother-in-law that works for HATFIELD MEATS and
he is gonna try and hook me up but they don't get it that often. They sell
it to BUSHES for their beans. my wife and I are trying this new NSNG
way of eating and it says we can have all the bacon we want so we go
through like 3-4 lbs. a week . that's why I need a good supply of bellies.

image.jpeg
In the UK we make what we call back bacon from the pork loin - which is the joint we would get pork chops from. I know there are some differences in names of cut from one side of the Atlantic to the other so here's a picture of the cut I mean. It makes very good bacon.

Hi, traditionally, and in my house, the fat cap would be left on. We also have middle bacon which is half way between the loin and the belly and that usually has the fat cap and the skin left on. If you cook it right the skin crisps and puffs up beautifully.

Mornin' all,
Contact Costco tell them you would like to see it brought back to store (both locally and also corporate). I have in the past and it worked. In fact my local Costco store recently stopped carrying it also and i have done just that (will see if they bring it back). Store said it was still on their available list so i have hope. They have really great bellies and a good price, but they also have a tendency to stop carrying things and that can be real frustrating.Especially if that is about the only place you can get it without spending a fortune. I have sometimes got from my local butcher shop, but they don't like to order unless you take a case.
kit

Mornin' all,

Howdy Neighbor!!
You shouldn't have trouble in the Lehigh Valley getting Bellies.
Go to a couple of the small PA Dutch Butcher shops, and ask if they can get you a Belly.
I get mine from Harry Watermann, near the intersection of Rt 100 & Rt 29 (Hereford), back in the woods.
He just orders an extra one or two with his order. Sometimes I wait a week or so.

As for other types of Bacon, Click on my "Step by Step" below.
Then check out the various Bacon threads in the first section.
There's How-toos for Bacon (Bellies), Canadian Bacon (Pork Loin), Buckboard Bacon (Pork Butt), and Bacon-on-a-Stick (Pork Ribs).

BTW: That Step by Step Link is at the bottom of ALL of my Posts.

Bear

Fresh side if you can get it also makes good bacon, a bit leaner than belly bacon.

Hey Bear, Its funny that you mention Harrys place because its the only place my wife
will allow us to get our holiday hams !! It has been her family tradition for as long as
she can remember ( double smoked bone in ). The place sure has changed since the
kids took over - no more hats on the wall and they take CREDIT CARDS !! but its
still one of the best butchers around . I did order a belly from Valley Farm Market
a local store that we get our fruits and veggies from , should be here Tuesday. I
will be using your step by step instructions for the process - CANT WAIT !

Hey Bear, Its funny that you mention Harrys place because its the only place my wife
will allow us to get our holiday hams !! It has been her family tradition for as long as
she can remember ( double smoked bone in ). The place sure has changed since the
kids took over - no more hats on the wall and they take CREDIT CARDS !! but its
still one of the best butchers around . I did order a belly from Valley Farm Market
a local store that we get our fruits and veggies from , should be here Tuesday. I
will be using your step by step instructions for the process - CANT WAIT !

I haven't been there since the kids took over, but my Son was there. He has been taking Deer there for many years, and now since the Kids took over, they won't take Deer in for butchering. Kinda Ticked him off, but it didn't take him long to find another place.
I usually Double Smoke my own Hams, but if I have to buy one, I get them at The Farmers Market at Q-Mart in Quakertown (Davis' Shop). They take a Leidy's Ham & Smoke it again.

Here's one of mine:
Double Smoked Ham

Bear

I'll second (or third) the buckboard bacon idea made from pork butt. If you stand it with the fat-side up, go down about 2" and slice horizontally. This will leave you with a flat piece that is a good approximation of belly. That's what I was doing when bellies here were scarce and expensive. The remaining can be cured and used as buckboard bacon (BBB), or just smoked and pulled as normal.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky