Bacon qustion lost how I did it last

Discussion in 'Smoking Bacon' started by veener88, Jun 26, 2008.

1. veener88

veener88 Smoke Blower

It has been about 8 months since I did bacon and last time did it I did a wet cure. I can not find how I did it last I lost it :(. what I am wondering since I smoke my bacon over hickory in a cold smoke what is the best cure to use and should I go dry? We like just a little sweet flavor to the bacon be we realy like the smoked flavor most.

Thanks

2. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Tough question there...LOL! I din't steal yer notes!

But anyway, I use dry cure. There are plenty of commercial cures out there, but if you want to make your own, I recommend Morton's Tenderquick in conjunction with either a maple sugar or brown sugar sweetener. CBP and oinion/garlic are what I add a bit of too. Follow amounts recommended for the TQ... 1 Tbsp/Lb.

3. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Dang yer GOOD TH... I'm feeling magnanimous... POINTS for a dead-on hit!

4. 7outof10

7outof10 Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

is there plans on here to make a cheep cold smoker ?
    i want to do some bacon

5. veener88

veener88 Smoke Blower

Thanks I did a search and it did not come up weird. I can not longer get the one I got from the butcher.

I think I I found nice dry rub. 1 part kosher salt to 1 part brown suger. Just wondering should I add any Curing Salt?

6. walking dude

walking dude Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

when i do candain bacon, i use 1 tbls of mortons tenderquick, and 1 tbs sugar of your choice, per pound

7. veener88

veener88 Smoke Blower

Just wanted to update. Did a 50/50 mix of kolsher salt to brown sugar. Just covered the bacon in the rub and put it into a ziplock bag for 8 days flipped them every two days. Then after 8 days pulled the bacon out washed it out and let it soak in water for an hour. After soaking then put in the smoker for 8 hours with a 50/50 mix of hickory and apple wood. My house thinks this is the best bacon I have done yet.