Bacon on a Smoked Turkey?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jrapps

Original poster
Apr 20, 2009
I have heard that you can use strips of bacon wrapped over a Turkey while smoking to retain moisture, even out cooking of the white/dark meat, etc....is this true and where/how should I use the bacon? Over the breasts, or wrap the legs to prevent burning? When should I remove the bacon?

FYI...I am cooking a 20lb turkey (yes I know it's large)..plan on using Tip's brine & injection, 350 degrees, either breast side up or I have a turkey-sized beer-can style holder...and going to use Apple wood with a little Maple thrown in.

Thanks!

Jason

for the past 3 years we have done this for thanksgiving. We cover the whole bird with some thick cut bacon, and throw it in the smoker. Not really sure how much it adds to the moistness really, since we brine them as well, and smoking them should produce a moist bird anyway, but i will tell you this, the skin tastes great, and the bacon is super crispy and awesome. Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

edited to add that we leave the bacon on the whole time, since that was one of the questions you asked.

Never used bacon but just posted something in another thread about smoking a 20# bird. Check out this link to a fellow member that smoked one vertically, in his ecb. It's got some great qvue, and he kept it out of the danger temp zone (which needs to be monitored with a bird that size).

LINK

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky