Bacon ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
So the first cold front blew in about 3 hours ago and we have a colder one coming in the morning. A fella needs something to do to countermand the cabin fever. So I fell into a good deal and appropriated some sow belly, at a decent price. So they didn't know what they were doing with the skin, on? Or off? It was mostly ragged. I could live with it, at such a good deal.

Made up Pop's brine cure (2 gallons), added some of my own ingredients. And Wa-La, <POOF> we now have a 2 week wait........LOL <snaps finger> So much for cabin fever!

Sow Belly!! Around 50 pounds give or take a few.

IMG_8524.JPG

My professional brine bucket!

IMG_8525.JPG

The magical mystery nectar...... Mmmmm good stuff Maynard!

IMG_8526.JPG

Tucked into the beer reefer for a couple a weeks.

IMG_8527.JPG

I saved a couple a pieces of belly, now to dream about all the things possible I can do with 'em.

Too be continued.

Last edited:
Kevin I may have to visit your fridge it has way to much Beer
Good start I'll be watching
Richie

Last edited:
I cut up a little of one of the extra pieces and pulled out some chopped brisket and POOF!!

IMG_8531.JPG

Supposedly to the 20's tonight. Was in the 70's yesterday.

So grab a brew and a bowl and pull up a piece of real estate!

I have been wanting to try bacon burnt ends, and after seeing your pot of chili, I am thinking I will add them to my next batch of chili!
Al

I just saw a person's crackling pork, not to be confused with cracklins. I've done one here already, but it sure looked good.

I am thinking of rolling it like pancetta, smoking it, then a 500+ degree oven to crackle the skin. Last one I think I then glazed, but .... the glaze softened the crackle.

But, still thinking.

Oh and Al, I bet that would be a great way to introduce smoke into the pot of chili!

Good things come to those whom wait. I am 30'hours and into smoking my 2nd BFMB and have another 6 pounder and several lbs of pork jowls curing in the same fashion. This bacon is the most AMAZING thing that you will ever eat. If I were on. Death row this would be what I wanted form my last meal. It's that good!

You are preaching to the choir. I have been making bacon a few years now and like you, hell like everyone that makes their first bacon, I was hooked. I have been putting off and putting off a slicer. I am trying to stay with one toy per year. I had zero'd in one the Cabellas 12" when they were 100.00 off and free frt at Christmas. But I just couldn't justify it. So now if when I buy it I'll just laugh at myself.

Kevin,you forgot to use -Shazam!
Bacon burnt ends? Ground Formed Bacon for a quick fix?

Bill

I keep hearing all these fast food places with BBQ Bacon sandwiches. I know from my educational period with bacon that at about 140 to 150 IT it jiggles like Sanity Clause's belly. I am thinking just a little higher with some BBQ sauce sounds mighty awesome too. On a homemade Bolillo loaf, I believe I could stand on the corner and sell 'em for a quarter a piece all day long. But still thinking......

Last edited:
Sell them a quarter a piece dang man I can't remember when the last time uh can't remember the last time uh can't remember dang these senior moments. Really a quarter a piece you would cause a bus riot to Mississippi to buy them up.

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky