Babybacks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

elkhorn98

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
Occidental, CA
icon_frown.gif

Did some yesterday following the 2-2-1 method and they never seemed to get tender and they were kind of dry. I have done St. Louis cut ribs a few times and they were great. Moist, tender, and cheaper than baby backs. Anyone else prefer St. Louis cuts? Or should I keep trying with the baby backs. I did them at 225 with water pan and basted them before foiling. Any thoughts?

I have only cooked baby backs once, but had good luck with them. Baby's IMOA have less meat and are harder to check the temp on than slabs, so it is possible that at that temp you could have over cooked and dried them before wrapping. Did you add any moisture when wrapping them, dried them with too long on step #3. My .02 worth.

Yellow mustard and rub. Wrap up overnight. I do mine at 225-250 degrees for (2.5 - 3) - 2 -1. When you wrap them up in foil, give a good spritzing of apple juice and seal em tight. after the 2 hrs, unwrap, baste with bbq sauce (or whatever use use), and back in the smoker for the last hr. This always works for me and they are tasty.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

When I do Babies, I usually smoke at 225-240 and the first stage is about 2 hours and 40 minutes. I let it go longer if the meat is not pulled back from the end of the bones at least 1/4 inch. Stage 2 is about 1 hour 20 minutes, with apple juice in the foil with the babies. Stage 3 is usually about 45 minutes, and I glaze with a BBQ sauce thinned with apple juice. Have had good results with these timings.

Hope this helps.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky