BABYBACKS! My first big post.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bobbobbbq

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 12, 2014
This is my first proper post so I thought id do it on something I know.

I start by coating the BB's in Dijon mustard on both sides.
I then coat them liberally in my own BOBBOB's BBQ rub on both sides.
These little puppys are then wrapped up in clingfilm and put to bed in the refrigerator over night.
The next morning I get my smoker ready for work. I like to soak the wood in a water/ vinegar mix. The wood I used this time was damson which I smoke over charcoal briquettes.
getting the coals nice and hot before loading them into my little minion.
I use water as a heat shield but am considering changing to sand/stones to try and achieve a nice dark bark.
Now the BB's are out of the reefer and are ready to meet the smoke.
As you can I have a tiny little smoker so I am limited to the amount of racks I can smoke at a time.
Now the lids on I keep checking on her every 20 mins adding coals and wood as and when its needed. I try to keep the temp at around 165C with a good amount of smoke going for the duration of the cooking time.
While I was waiting I got bored so I got some pork belly out and gave it a basic rub of brown and white sugar, paprika, cayenne
Just a quick pic of the smoke box. I like to start off with 15 briquettes and a fist sized piece of wood.
this is after the first hour and things are looking good so far.
A couple of hours later and the sun has come out at last. I like to baste the meat every 20 mins with my home made BOBBOB's BBQ sauce. ( don't worry the paint brush is new )

After 5 hours the pork belly gets wrapped in tin foil as by now it plenty smoky enough.
At 6.5 hours the BB's are also wrapped and left for another hour to rest above the cooling coals.
Heres the BB's sliced and ready for serving.( I think they look great but that's just my opinion) 

And finally here is the end result which I served up with some home made spicy potato wedges.

I hope Y'all like my post and I welcome any feedback.

Thanks BOBBOBBBQ 

thanks Danny.

I was a bit nervous about doing my first post. I'm glad you like it.

Rob.

Very nice Bob. Your smoker looks as if it gets a lot of use and your food looks great. Thanks for sharing with us.

Now that you have got over your initial stage fright we will expect regular updates 
biggrin.gif

Thanks Wade. That little smoker gets fired up whenever I get a day to myself. I'm still only really smoking ribs at the moment but want to move on to something else. Any suggestions?I will post up my results as soon as I can. Thanks again buddy.

Reactions: foamheart
Truly impressive, you have most definitively mastered your pit.

Excellent smoke! Excellent Q-View! And that bacon adder, just a notch over the top there.

Congrats on a great smoke! Color me impressed!

Oh and I laughed I thought at first that was a small flag pole with a flag. The smoking lamp was lit topside!

Thank you for sharing.

Last edited:
Thanks Foamy.
I'm firing her up again today to smoke some shellfish.
The pole you can see is a large umbrella to shelter the smoker from the fine british weather.
Quick question, what's a Q-view?
Thanks again.

Hi Bob, your food looks amazing, I did some whole Belly Pork this weekend, the taste was great but still had a lot of fat that could of been rendered out. How was your crackling? crisp or a bit soggy?

Smokin Monkey

Thanks Foamy.
I'm firing her up again today to smoke some shellfish.
The pole you can see is a large umbrella to shelter the smoker from the fine british weather.
Quick question, what's a Q-view?
Thanks again.
Grilled seafood, always is a winner. I spent some time topside on a boat in Holy Loch, Scotland. Coldest I have ever been, <clears throat> Loveliest weather up there. Q-View is the boards name for your published pictures.

One more time, great smoke.

Hi Bob, your food looks amazing, I did some whole Belly Pork this weekend, the taste was great but still had a lot of fat that could of been rendered out. How was your crackling? crisp or a bit soggy?

Smokin Monkey
Thanks buddy. I didn't really get any crackling as the temp was quite low. I will go for crackling when I do a slab of pork belly in a couple of weeks.

Tried to turn the temperature up on my home made electric smoker, but found it will not get above 120'C. I have ordered a GMG Jim Bowie, but not arriving until late July.

This will possibly get good crackling, but putting on BBQ cracking down, will help.

Smokin Monkey

Iv
Tried to turn the temperature up on my home made electric smoker, but found it will not get above 120'C. I have ordered a GMG Jim Bowie, but not arriving until late July.

This will possibly get good crackling, but putting on BBQ cracking down, will help.

Smokin Monkey
Iv not got anything as fancy as an electric smoker lol.
I use good old coals and wood. I'm looking at building a triple oil drum smoker aka THE BEAST.

Hi Bob, the electric smoker was just a plate warming cabinet that i fitted a Smokai unit to, did a little bit of electrical work fitting two PID'S.

Like you I have a project to build a smoker.

Found this at one of my customers, looking at collecting next week. Not sure which way to go with it. First idea is a fire box to smoke wood, but main heat generator is propane!

Thinking this way, as we do some events, and propane is easier, and more acceptable than purely wood burning.

Smokin Monkey

Blimey monkey that looks like a big lump. Is that an old calor garden tank? If it is it will need a good scrub out and clean as you don't want it going bang when you cut it :-0

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky