Baby, its COLD outside!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

princess

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Lafayette, Indiana
IThis is my first Winter with a smoker. Aside from making sure I have a nice clear ice-free path to and from my unit (don't want to slip and fall with a tray full of meat!) what else do I need to know? What should I expect? Or is i just business as usual?

I have a propane fired cabinet smoker (the 38" Weston), typically use the iron chip box, but just got a spanky new AMS (thank you, TODD!)  I live in the MidWest but the way my house faces and the yard is shaped, I get *some* wind, but not a ton. 

Thanks for the help!!

-Princess

I don't smoke any different in the winter than I do in the summer other than wear a lot more cloths. haha. I actually smoke a lot more in the winter as it seems things aren't as hectic. Your idea of a nice trail to your smoker is good. Last winter I was coming around my garage with a tray full of meat and there was ice and I fell really hard on my elbow trying to save the tray. Needless to say meat went everywhere and I smacked my elbow up really good and it was swollen and sore for weeks. Put a little salt or sand down if its icy so you don't fall. I know from experience. 

Last edited:
I like smoking in the winter too. Don't have to worry about those pesky flies plus if you want to chill something don't have to have a cooler ready or overload the refrigerator! ; )

Yesterday I was smoking a pie. It was rather windy here and I had my smoker a good ways away from the garage. Even though there was a crosswind, enough carbon monoxide got inside the house to set our alarm off. We might not think this could happen but with the way winds swirl a lot of this outside air can get in the house without our being aware of it.

So, it is important to keep in mind where we put our smokers in relation to winds. It is a good idea to have a good carbon monoxide detector too. 

When it is cold out it has a tendency for us to want to keep our units a little closer access. This is something to avoid doing not only because of the potential air issues but there's a lot of dry leaves, ETC. around our homes in the winter that can easily catch fire with one single spark. I had this happen before starting coals in a chimney starter and it could have easily got out of hand if I wasn't paying attention.

Happy smoking, keep warm and be safe! 

A good trick I learned from BBQ Pit Masters last season was from Myron Mixon.  I went down to the Army surplus store and picked up a wool blanket, folded it in half and cut a hole for the chimney to come out.  Works great on my Char-Griller to keep the temp stable.  It even hangs down abit over the edges to keep the wind out of the smoking chamber.

A good trick I learned from BBQ Pit Masters last season was from Myron Mixon.  I went down to the Army surplus store and picked up a wool blanket, folded it in half and cut a hole for the chimney to come out.  Works great on my Char-Griller to keep the temp stable.  It even hangs down abit over the edges to keep the wind out of the smoking chamber.
Lol.... good to know that show was good for something. Heh-heh.

Good idea though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky