Baby Backs w/Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hokiesmokie

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Since I'm off work until after the new year, I had time to plan a midweek smoke. I had a 3-pack of baby backs (8.8 lbs.) from Costco in the freezer, so I defrosted them over the weekend. I got some smoking chunks for Christmas (cherry and pecan, both of which I've never used), so I decided to use the cherry for these slabs.

I also just got a rib rack for use in the UDS, so I cut the slabs in half after removing the membranes, so I could use the rack and keep the meat more centered on the cooking grate.

I used three different rubs on the BBs - GrillMates Pork Rub, Zatarain's Creole Seasoning, and a homemade rub adapted from a Steven Raichlen recipe.

The ribs were smoked for 5 hours using the 2-1-2 method (still experimenting with varying the foiling times). I used RO lump with the cherry chunks at 220-240 F. I spritzed with a mixture of apple juice and bourbon before after foiling.

Now for some Q-view.

The rubs:

Rubs applied in the same order as above:

In the rack ready for the smoker:

The finished pile of pork:

Typical cut rib:

The five of us managed to eat well, and we still had about half of the total left over:

BTW - if you're looking for sauce, the universal preference at my house is for ribs naked, i.e., without any sauce. Strange, but true.

We're waiting for the Q View... but pics are not being displayed.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky