Baby Backs on the Brinkmann Vertical w Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whtplainssmoker

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
White Plains, NY
Giving Baby Backs a try on the cheapo vertical Brinkmann.  Ribs are from Costco, which I have to say the quality always seems great.  They just went in now.  I'll put up the results later.

Just before the rub.

539321ab_IMG_1572.jpg

All rubbed up and ready to go.

196e5fd8_IMG_1574.jpg

Into the Brinkmann Vertical (bone side down as recommended by virtually everyone). By the way, that's a potato to hold the probe as recommended in the 5 day e-course.  Can't wait to taste the tater.   Using a mix of Cowboy lump, Kingsford blue, and for the smoke apple chunks with a few cherry chips thrown in for good measure.

cffc7851_IMG_1577.jpg

Keep you posted on the results later.  Off to cut the grass, and other yard work so I can reward myself with these for dinner.

Last edited:
Here they are getting the mop.  I mopped two of them a homemade vinegar eastern north carolina style sauce (cider vinegar, brown sugar, salt, ground pepper, and cayenne pepper), the other two I mopped with a store bought Jack Daniels BBQ sauce.  The ones below are the ones mopped with the Eastern North Carolina sauce.  

bdffda64_IMG_1585.jpg

And the money shot.

763c2f5c_IMG_1590.jpg

Absolutely delicious.  My wife enjoyed the Jack Daniels style a little better.  They were a little sweeter and "had more flavor" .  I actually liked the Eastern North Carolina ones.  I think you could taste the smoke and the rub a little more, and the sauce gave them a nice kick.  To each his own.

Thanks again to all the advice on the site.  I use it every time!

Reactions: chadvikescali
Looking good....think you'll be pleased, Costco has some very meaty ribs.
Thanks Willie.  We were very pleased with the results and the Costco ribs had plenty of meat on them.  So much so, that I felt I should go with the 3-2-1 method even though they were baby backs.  I think, next time I'll go somewhere around 2.5-2-1 to get them to hang on the bone just a little more.  Also, as I've mentioned before Costco's ribs come 3 full racks to the pack (i.e. the two racks I show in the picture are just one full rack) and are priced great (about 3.99 lb last time i bought them). 

As for the Brinkmann, I had a little trouble with it running hot to start, had to take out about 10 or so pieces of charcoal and fully shut the vents.  This was probably due to the warm windy day (and the fact that the last time I used it it was about 40 degrees when I first fired it up). But then it ran fairly steady, with me adding around 10 or so pieces twice during the 5 hours it was on the smoker.  Added hot water to the pan twice. So while not completely worry free, I was able to go tackle some projects around the house.

I can see that eventually I'm going to need something bigger.  For a party, its going to be hard to smoke more that 3 full racks of ribs, and maybe some chicken pieces on the top shelf.

Oh. And the best part was when I showed the ribs to my neighbor.  He was impressed, but then added - "So that's why it smelled like bacon all day today."

Also thanks Beer-B-Q, Meateater, Bmudd, and Gotarace for the encouraging comments.
grilling_smilie.gif

You forgot the last, MOST IMPORTANT STEPS!!! You're suppose to cut off about 3 or 4 ribs, vac seal them and throw them in the freezer. When they are frozen completely, pack them in an insulated box with some dry ice. Then, ship them (pre-paid naturally) to me for OFFICIAL DOMAPOI TASTING & APPROVAL. This should be done by all who smoke baby back ribs!!!

I can't be sure until I taste then but they sure look good.

Scott

Oh yeah, send the potato too!

Last edited:
Reactions: chadvikescali
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky