Baby Backs on Labor Day

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jwsooner

Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
So the brisket on Saturday turned out so well I thought I'd try some baby backs today.  I've done ribs in the past, but never a real slow smoke & I hadn't tried wrapping them.  Man, I'll tell you what, these were the best I've ever done!

Here is the first of 4 racks prior to going on with the rub - it's a pretty spicy rub, so I go light on the top & bottom so as to not light people on fire:

47a75993_DSC04767.jpg

I used a blend of pecan & mesquite wood & smoked the ribs for about 2.5 hours & was rock solid at 225 the whole time.  Most times I smoke things, I'm battling spikes and valleys all the time.  Each hour I sprayed them with apple juice & basted them with a vinegar & soy sauce "mop."  After 2.5 hours, I pulled them off & lightly sprinkled brown sugar, drizzled  a little honey & apple juice on the racks before double-wrapping them up.  Here they are after pulling them off, but before wrapping them up.

157fa66e_DSC04770.jpg

Pulled them off after 1.5 hours at 250.  The meat was so tender, you could just pull the bones out.  Here in Texas, we don't do saucy ribs, so the juice & honey was just enough liquid to keep the bark moist.  We figure if you need to put sauce on meat, you haven't cooked it right.  The combination of the honey, rub, and vinegar was GREAT!  You could taste all of it - sweet, spicy, tangy.  

5e17d7ea_DSC04771.jpg
5f20b49e_DSC04773.jpg

They were great!!!  Can't wait to do them for some friends!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky