Baby Backs for tomorrow (Q-View)

Discussion in 'Pork' started by njsmoker83, May 2, 2010.

1. Doing first Baby Backs tomorrow. I just made some more of Jeff's sauce and rub. I took off the membrane and tomorrow afternoon im ready to go. Going to do 2-2-1, apple juice ever hour and sauce last hour. This is what I have so far and ill keep Q-View going tomorrow.

Jeff's Rub

Jeff's Sauce

Membrane Removed and yellow mustard added

Sprinkle on some Rub

Zoom of Rub

Wrapped and ready for tomorrow

Spray bottle with apple juice and rub in a cheese/red pepper jar

wish me luck.

2. rdknb

rdknb Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Good luck, but good planning always trumps luck and looks like you have a good plan. I am also doing baby backs tomorrow, wife likes them to fall off bone, so I am going 2-2.5-.5

3. my wife asked me before, "are they going to fall off the bone?"

so maybe i should do the same time you are. i am going to smoke around 230-250 so do you think 2-2-1 is not good?

4. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

OPk there Mr. Jersey smoker guy I would say to smoke them the 2-2-1 method and see how they come out. Then if you want alittle more pull the your ribs then shorten the time in the foil. See how they come out and then make your adjustments.

5. rdknb

rdknb Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

yes I like the 2-2-1, I am just adjusting the foil time a little longer to see what happens

6. thanks, but i thought longer in foil the more they fall off bone

7. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

How is everything coming today. Just sitting here waiting for some Qview.

8. Im going to make them for dinner. Going out in minute to get tin foil (thought i got it already). Prob going to start around 1 (hour and half).

9. Put ribs on smoker at 3 been on for 40 minuts, little prob with temp at first it shot up to 300 but playing with door and what not so got it pretty steady now.

10. caveman

caveman Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Be careful not to spritz them like crazy when they go into the foil or you may come out with mushy ribs. maybe one squirt or two. Good luck.

11. thanks for the tip i was going to spray them a lot. i would like them to fall off bone, but not mushy

12. caveman

No problem. Don't forget the qview.

13. no problem. i just sprayed them at 4 since they have been in for an hour i have temp from 250-275 having a little trouble controlling it but its getting better. going to foil in 45 minutes. Going to have Q-View at four hours in pre-sauce and after sauce is applied. then hopefully you will see the empty bones after me and my wife eat the rack.

14. do you spray underneath ribs too or just top?

15. caveman

Before foil? Top only for me. When I foil? I try not to spray as the foiling process to me are the ribs basting in their own juices.

16. foiled at 5 with 2 little squirts of apple juice. going to let it stay in foil till 7 then putting on the bbq sauce and let it firm up till eight.

17. out of foil

18. back on grill with 1 hour left....and nice coat of jeffs sauce

19. old poi dog

old poi dog Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks like a great finish is coming up...Waiting for the Q-View...[​IMG]

20. final temp

finished

smoke ring? or not well done lol

final result