Baby backs, fatties and DA CLOD!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

capt dan

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 2, 2007
Just a beautifull spring morning today, and the recipe for todays smoke is shoulder clod, baby backs, and 4 fatties.

Had this stored in the fridge for about 10 days.

and this clod was gorgeous, and leaner than most chuck I use for the smoker.Check it out!

so I sliced it in half, and injected it with some Worsh, water, and some of the rub(magic dust), then rubbed it up heavily with the magic dust, wrapped and fridge overnight. Rubbed up a couple racks of BB's and my buddy marinated a couple of his racks to go in with mine. His are on the back of the rib rack, mine are on the front.

got a bunch of italian sausage given to me by my butcher, so I rolled up some fatties, 2 with pepperjack, and 2 with Mozzi.

the whole load after 2 hrs smoke on the clod's, 1 hr. on the fatties, and ribs just in !
icon_smile.gif

shut the lid, and added a couple more splits of cherry!. Rpllin along at about 230-250 today. Chance of rain later, next pics might have the remotes in baggies!

Looks great Capt. I'll be there when its done, Call me a couple of hours before you think it'll be done and i'll start driving. LOL
Yummy....
Andy.

Sounds good chevy, Bring sum o dat sausage ya did, we can trade!

Darn.....all that is left is the unsmoked sausage in the freezer. Will the be good enough?
Andy.

Good question Trav, I am leanin towards slicin one of the pieces, and pulling the other. Just to see which I like better, cuz this chunk o beef is fairly lean. It is often called an english roast! I wish I could have aged it longer, but with the practice cook next weekend, I had to do it this weekend..

I am ATTEMPTING to save a couple links of the last batch of kolbasz for this coming weekend Dan. Attempting... darn kid eats it like jerky!

Great lookin smoke Dan. Rained here most of the day yesterday, but today is cool and dry. Sure is a nice looking rig you have there.

Steve

Dan,
I agree with the other posters. Great looking rig and smoke! Isn't Spring a wonderful time of year ...... good to get out again. Of course down here in Florida, we can be out all year but still, Spring is just a wonderful time. Enjoy the chow!

Yeah, But believe it or not, I have smoked alot of days that it was cold or snowing.But I got a lil help for that!

Oh man that pic makes me cold! Lab, it went in at 5 am, and is stuck at 161 and 156 right now.I would think that I will be foiling them in an hr or so. Probably 5-7 pm something like that, not sure. Then they get an hour or two rest. The ribs and fatties are done, and turned out pretty good. I did NOT like the ribs my buddy marinated( I snuck a bone), too much orange peel( whats with that), and no rub, just a bunch of herbs and crap. They turned out almost white and look like they were boiled. I covered them with my two racks in the picture I took.

Let's go tigers!!!!
icon_smile.gif

Update as mentioned. The clods at about 6 hrs!

and the racks of ribs, almost done, another 45 minutes or so. Notice how pale the two inside ones are!

and then after they were done and rested a few minutes. I didn't bother with the other guys ribs, They are rested and foiled for him to come and get.

I'll try and get a pick of the clod after the rest and slicing/pulling!
cool.gif

Excellent smoke! I guess a chuck will be my next attempt.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Good lookin ribs capt. Have you let the other guy taste yours? They look like ribs should, does he use a rub even when I tried just salt and pepper they weren't that light in color.

Jason

I don't want to rip on the guy, we work together. He has a recipe he uses on the grill, and its more like a recipe for fish in the foil packet, ya know what I mean. But I told him he could do whatever he wanted, and I would add them to the smoke for whatever time he wanted. Yes he has tasted mine before, and loved them, but I think he wanted to replicate his "grill"recipe, which is pretty much "steamed ribs" if you ask me!
icon_smile.gif
He will see that you don't want to mix orange zest with a rib marinade. I tasted his ribs, and they are not bad, just not what I would want ribs to taste like.

Just took of the pointed end of the clod at 180 and foiled to the cooler. Total time on it was 12 hrs, 15 minutes. The thicker cut is about to come off in a few, it is at 195 at almost 13 hr mark. The probes are slippin in the meat pretty smooth, but not as smooth as a butt. Should be interesting.

I'll snap a couple pics of the pulled/sliced clodski!
icon_smile.gif

Dan, It is a great day in Michigan. Thanks for sharing your smoke. I want to try beef (brisket, whatever) next. I need a nice windbreak like yours, too. (I use old pieces of carpet)

Don't be frightened by the Brisket. They are pretty easy, just take awhile. I think they are easier than the chuck rolls, and shoulder clods, and about as easy as the Butts. I think it is a confidence thing. Once you do one or two, you will want to do one every week or two. Check out these dandies I got for next weekends practice cook! Shhh, don't tell the other teams!
cool.gif

Thats a pretty nice piece of meat, and at 2.19 a lb, I almost asked the butcher to marry me! Cut of the carcass just yesterday! Got another one just like it(didn't upload pic).
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
Yes the fat cap is on the other side !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky