Baby Backs & ABT'S w/Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buck_snorts

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
Longmont, Colorado, USA
This was the first time using Jeff's Rub & Sauce. Served the sauce on the side, and really didn't use much of it. I did the rub the night before. I sprayed the meat with a half & half mixture of apple juice and Jack Daniels Black Label every half hour while exposed, and gave a good dose to the foil packet. I used the 2-2-1 timing. I used hickory chunks in my Camp Chef Smoke Vault, and it really didn't start smoking until the last hour, but it had a wonderful aroma for the whole time. I soaked 3 chunks in water over night and the rest was dry, hoping for an extended smoke duration. I usually use chips and it takes off right away, with several reloads.

The ABT'S were filled with a half & half mixture of cream cheese and shredded sharp chedar, and 4 cloves of finely diced garlic. The bacon was pre-cooked to that almost stiff stage. I'm waiting for a fellow in the machine shop at work to build us some racks, but things are really busy there right now, so I just poked some 3/4" holes in an aluminum pan and shoved them in, and smoked them for around 3 hours.

I put the same sized aluminum pan full of Bush's Baked Beans under the ribs to catch the juice, and poured the remaining juice from the foil into them after the second 2 hours. Even gave them a few squirts of the apple/Jack mixture. Could have used some brown sugar and garlic. Next time...

And the spousal unit made a dynamite potato salad to top it all off!

I took about 18 of the ABT'S to work with me this morning and they didn't last more than 20 minutes. Hoo-Raa''s all around!

smoking4608001bo6.jpg

smoking4608002tn2.jpg

smoking4608003yi6.jpg

all looks good buck! I made my ABT racks useing a couple ridged pie tins and drilled 3/4-7/8 holes & sanded the sharp edges down.

Looks great. Keep up the great smokes. All that hard work prepping the food usually pays of when it comes time to eat. I bet this one paid off.
Andy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky