baby back ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

greenhouse

Original poster
Oct 12, 2013
can anybody tell me why jeff suggest

cutting the slab of meat off the length of a baby back rid

Just for trimming sake I would imagine. I sometimes cut this flap of meat off as well. It just cooks quicker and will dry out faster than the rest of the slab.

I think this is what you're asking

can anybody tell me why jeff suggest

cutting the slab of meat off the length of a baby back rid
Jeff suggests to cut the "slab" of meat off the ribs so that the ribs  would be an attractive presentation when finished...Also, the removed excess meat can be added to other recipes ie baked beans, chili, etc. to enhance the flavor with a great smokey taste.

Besides they are a great snack as the ribs finish.

Good Luck,  John

Reactions: haughtcm

Jeff suggests to cut the "slab" of meat off the ribs so that the ribs  would be an attractive presentation when finished...Also, the removed excess meat can be added to other recipes ie baked beans, chili, etc. to enhance the flavor with a great smokey taste.

Besides they are a great snack as the ribs finish.

Good Luck,  John
^^^ This. I always cut this and the meat flab on the back side of ribs, I call it the "knuckle", off and throw on the smoker. I like to think of it as taste testing, since that meat is done well before the ribs are you can eat it. It will give you a good indication of what the ribs will ultimately taste like when they are done. It also doesn't hurt that your ribs now look clean cut. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky