Baby Back Ribs with LOTS of Q/View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokefever

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Martinsburg WV
Hello again everyone!  I stopped by the store today for some needed ingredients to go into my TD entry.  I figured while its smoking, I might as well have something else to go with it.  So, its gonna be 3 racks of baby backs 
yahoo.gif
  I made a rub for them earlier, removed the membrane and rubbed 'em down.  Last time I fired up the smoker, I had a heck of a time keeping temp so I had to finish in the oven.  I gotta believe its the difference in charcoal.  I usually use Royal Oak Lump CC, but the Mrs. picked up some Kingsford briquettes while she was at the store.  I personally dont care for them at all, but we'll see what happens.  I'm probably gonna throw them on around 10 am and plan on having them done by 4.  Here's what we have so far......

I always make a brown sugar based rub.  I've tried it without, but dont personally care for it.  Thanks for stopping by for a look, TONS more view tomorrow!

Lookin good to me SF!

What type smoker are you using?

I usually use RO lump for ribs but am very partial to briquettes for long smokes like butts and briskets.  I'm also not a big fan of KF but I do like Stubbs all natural briqs.  No chemicals or adhesive additives, and also not bad smells or flavors in the meat.

Can't wait to see them ribs when they are finished!

Bill

Lookin good to me SF!

What type smoker are you using?

I usually use RO lump for ribs but am very partial to briquettes for long smokes like butts and briskets.  I'm also not a big fan of KF but I do like Stubbs all natural briqs.  No chemicals or adhesive additives, and also not bad smells or flavors in the meat.

Can't wait to see them ribs when they are finished!

Bill
I'm using a CG Smokin Pro....I dont really care for it, but its all I have atm.  The manufacturer drilled way too many holes in it and it just takes so much fuel to keep 'er goin.  I plan on making some mods to it this summer.  The lid doesnt close flush, its about 1" off.  I have used Stubbs in the past, and never had anything bad to say about it.  Nothing I could do about this though as the ol' lady picked it up for me..   I smoked a couple butts the other day and after three chimneys full of ashed over briquettes, smoker still wouldnt get past 200.  I just bought a Maverick so I know it wasnt that.  Just has me baffled, I guess I gotta hang in there til I can get these mods under way!

Just wanted to post a quick update.......I put a full chimney of KF in the firebox, and guess what?  Still not up to temp lol  I just cant win here lately with this CG, VERY tempermental.  So I just started another half chimney in hopes that it will get me over the 200 mark.  I cant believe this thing wont get up over 150 with a full basket.  Its 63 degrees outside with a 5mph wind, so conditions are perfect today.  Any ideas would be welcome, hopefully the next load of KF gets it where I want.  I am making some Q sauce right now, so it will have plenty of time to simmer and reduce.  Plenty of pics to come shortly!!

Sorry to hear you're struggling with temps, SF.  I guess the different charcoal is making a big difference?  RO lump does tend to burn a lot hotter than briquettes.  Those lighter weight offset rigs can be a lot of work maintaining temps.  I've been there.  I once had a cheaper New Braunfels offset, and I used to work my tail off keeping stable temps in that thing in the Oklahoma wind and weather. 

I hope you get it ironed out...keep us posted!

Red

Sorry to hear you're struggling with temps, SF.  I guess the different charcoal is making a big difference?  RO lump does tend to burn a lot hotter than briquettes.  Those lighter weight offset rigs can be a lot of work maintaining temps.  I've been there.  I once had a cheaper New Braunfels offset, and I used to work my tail off keeping stable temps in that thing in the Oklahoma wind and weather. 

I hope you get it ironed out...keep us posted!

Red
Yeah I prefer lump hands-down over briquettes.  After tinkering with this thing for a bit, I just had to add some wood to it because the KF just isnt maintaining temp.  So right now, she is holding steady at 225.  Hopefully it stays that way  ;)

Ok folks, here we go with some more QView....

Out of the fridge and getting to room temp before going in the smoke

On the rib rack and onto the smoker they go

Lovely TBS

FINALLY got the smoker to hold steady!!

First look at 2 hours in.......

They're coming along pretty well now that the CG stopped acting up.  I'm right at 4 hours in so far.  I'm not going to foil these at all, just let them hang out and get some good bark on them!!  Thanks for looking, there will be plenty more pics to come!!

Looks good! One word of caution, with pork and poultry you really shouldn't bring to room temperature.

I've had some bad luck lately with KF briquettes too. Unfortunately I don't have much else to choose from here. I did grab a couple bags of 365 brand lump from Whole Foods, curious to see how it burns.

Looks good! One word of caution, with pork and poultry you really shouldn't bring to room temperature.

I've had some bad luck lately with KF briquettes too. Unfortunately I don't have much else to choose from here. I did grab a couple bags of 365 brand lump from Whole Foods, curious to see how it burns.
Yeah I know definitely for poultry not to let it get to room temp.  The IT of the ribs was 48 when they went on, I just wanted them to be somewhere between 38 and 55 before throwing them on.  As for the KF I wont be spending any of my money on that stuff anymore. 

OK, here is the final product.  These cooked on the smoker for 5.5 hours due to the temp drops, but they turned out INCREDIBLE!! 
nana2.gif
  I gave them 3 applications of sauce for the last hour....and again, these did NOT see any foil.  I love my ribs to have a little tug, and then a snap when you bite through the underside of them.  Here are the pics, enjoy!

This was 4 hours into the cook

Just about ready for some sauce...

Cool little saucing bottle the ol' lady got for me

We're gettin there!!

Love the bark on these!

Look at that smoke-ring
icon_mrgreen.gif

Hope you enjoyed all the View everyone!!  Til next time!!

Ribs look Great!!!! Beautiful !!!!

What's the 38 to 55 thing?----Am I missing something?

I take all my meats from fridge right to smoker.

Thanks,

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky