Baby back ribs - no foiling

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sumosmoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 29, 2007
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Lala was hungry this weekend so I fed her 3 racks of baby backs in addition to the pork tenderloins (in a separate thread). I didn't apply any rub but spritzed them with cherry juice every hour. After 5 hours at 230 degrees of cherry and pecan smoke, the ribs were pulled and foiled and were left to rest for an hour.

When I pulled out one of the slabs to cut, the ribs were so juicy that when I sliced them I got hit in the eye with rib juice!!!
eek.gif
They were served hot, slathered in Dreamland BBQ sauce and were as meaty and tender (yet not fall off the bone) as anything we've ever eaten.

Here are some pics, thanks for looking!

Ribs on smoker

1/2 way through smoke

Sliced and ready to serve

Now that's what I'm talkin' about...a BBQ Juice injury time out! Beautiful looking ribs. I haven't tried spritzing with cherry juice, but it sounds good, and I will definitely try that too!
points.gif
for a beautiful looking smoke.

BBQ Eng.

Laurel is pretty serious about her Q-I bet she didn't need a time out, she would play hurt if needed.
biggrin.gif

Excellent.I only foil half the time and when i do no liquid.For me, without liquid in foil, a toothpick put into meat has a little tug-but they are tender and moist.If i use liquid ,toothpick goes thru like butter, but they are mushy or fall off bone.Beautiful smoke penetration.

Now that's about the prettiest lookin' ribs I have ever seen. Congratulations on the smoke...and the cherry juice. That is something I will definitely try
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Outstanding ribs. Looks like the smoke ring penetrates all the way through.

Aaaaaaaaaaaah, man, I knew I shouldn't have looked! Slurp...
Gotta loose about 2 feet of snow on my patio and thaw out my 2 slabs of BBs now! LOL!!!

Thanks for the post, Laurel.

Eric

Those are some awsome looking ribs.
points.gif
I hope.

superb job laurel!!!! those look awesome, that shiney polished look i guess. way to take a step outa the comfort zone and show us something new. actually kudos to both you and grothe as you both did unfoiled ribs this past we!!! great job!!!
points.gif

I like the cherry juice idea. I usually use apple juice. As soon As I can find the charger for the camera I will start posting some pictures. I a have just been swamped and haven't had time to look for it fully yet!!

Hi Laurel, your ribs turned out perfect! I've been preaching about the benefits of not foiling ribs. Your QVIEW proves that if you want juicy, meaty, delicious ribs, don't foil 'em. Now, if you want the meat to be falling off the bone then you have to steam/braise/boil them somehow i.e. foil.

Congratulations on that smoke Laurel. Points if the point system's even working.

Tom

Wow!!! the outside color is awesome. Then add the smoke ring SCORE!!!!
I see you may be a believer you don't need foil huh
biggrin.gif

Those are some good looking ribs. The outside almost looks like a glossy cover.

Shot in the eye with rib juice? Now that's a money shot!
biggrin.gif

LOL Sorry couldn't resist that one.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky