Baby back ribs - no foiling

Discussion in 'Pork' started by sumosmoke, Mar 24, 2009.

1. sumosmoke

sumosmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Lala was hungry this weekend so I fed her 3 racks of baby backs in addition to the pork tenderloins (in a separate thread). I didn't apply any rub but spritzed them with cherry juice every hour. After 5 hours at 230 degrees of cherry and pecan smoke, the ribs were pulled and foiled and were left to rest for an hour.

When I pulled out one of the slabs to cut, the ribs were so juicy that when I sliced them I got hit in the eye with rib juice!!! [​IMG] They were served hot, slathered in Dreamland BBQ sauce and were as meaty and tender (yet not fall off the bone) as anything we've ever eaten.

Here are some pics, thanks for looking!

Ribs on smoker

1/2 way through smoke

Sliced and ready to serve

2. bbq engineer

bbq engineer Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Now that's what I'm talkin' about...a BBQ Juice injury time out! Beautiful looking ribs. I haven't tried spritzing with cherry juice, but it sounds good, and I will definitely try that too! [​IMG] for a beautiful looking smoke.

BBQ Eng.

3. wutang

wutang Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Laurel is pretty serious about her Q-I bet she didn't need a time out, she would play hurt if needed.[​IMG]

4. alx

alx Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Excellent.I only foil half the time and when i do no liquid.For me, without liquid in foil, a toothpick put into meat has a little tug-but they are tender and moist.If i use liquid ,toothpick goes thru like butter, but they are mushy or fall off bone.Beautiful smoke penetration.

5. rivet

rivet Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Now that's about the prettiest lookin' ribs I have ever seen. Congratulations on the smoke...and the cherry juice. That is something I will definitely try [​IMG]

6. bassman

bassman Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Outstanding ribs. Looks like the smoke ring penetrates all the way through.

7. jaxgatorz

jaxgatorz Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks awesome Laurel !!!! I thought i smelled sumthin good this weekend [​IMG]

8. irishteabear

irishteabear Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

The ribs look great, nice and juicy. Nice job as usual, Laurel. [​IMG]

9. pignit

pignit Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Shweeeeet!
    [​IMG]

10. forluvofsmoke

forluvofsmoke Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Aaaaaaaaaaaah, man, I knew I shouldn't have looked! Slurp...
    Gotta loose about 2 feet of snow on my patio and thaw out my 2 slabs of BBs now! LOL!!!

Thanks for the post, Laurel.

Eric

11. ronp

ronp Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Those are some awsome looking ribs. [​IMG]I hope.

12. erain

erain Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

superb job laurel!!!! those look awesome, that shiney polished look i guess. way to take a step outa the comfort zone and show us something new. actually kudos to both you and grothe as you both did unfoiled ribs this past we!!! great job!!!
    [​IMG]

13. mofo

mofo Meat Mopper

A thing of beauty... nicely done!

14. bigbaldbbq

bigbaldbbq Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I like the cherry juice idea. I usually use apple juice. As soon As I can find the charger for the camera I will start posting some pictures. I a have just been swamped and haven't had time to look for it fully yet!!

15. maker4life

maker4life Fire Starter

Nice , those are some good looking ribs .

16. m1tanker78

m1tanker78 Meat Mopper

Hi Laurel, your ribs turned out perfect! I've been preaching about the benefits of not foiling ribs. Your QVIEW proves that if you want juicy, meaty, delicious ribs, don't foil 'em. Now, if you want the meat to be falling off the bone then you have to steam/braise/boil them somehow i.e. foil.

Congratulations on that smoke Laurel. Points if the point system's even working.

Tom

17. blacklab

blacklab Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Wow!!! the outside color is awesome. Then add the smoke ring SCORE!!!!
    I see you may be a believer you don't need foil huh [​IMG]

18. meat magician

meat magician Smoke Blower

Great looking ribs [​IMG]

19. the dude abides

the dude abides Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Those are some good looking ribs. The outside almost looks like a glossy cover.

Shot in the eye with rib juice? Now that's a money shot! [​IMG]
    LOL

20. the dude abides

the dude abides Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Those are some good looking ribs. The outside almost looks like a glossy cover.

Shot in the eye with rib juice? Now that's a money shot! [​IMG]
    LOL Sorry couldn't resist that one.