Baby back rib ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mijpa

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Surprise, AZ
I am planning on using Jeffs rub. After the rub is on do i do the 321 method or just use the rub and cook them for about 4.5 - 5hours just on the smoker rack?

When doing bb ribs I go with 2-1-1 or so. For the first stage look for the meat to pull away from the bone about 1/4 of an inch. The second stage is kind of up to you but I feel 2 hours foiled is just to much for the bb rib so I cut it in half. The third stage could also be adjusted to your liking.

the last 2 batches of BBs I did I didnt not foil them at all
kept the smoker @210* and spritzed then every hour or so with apple juice and capt. Morgans rum left them on for 6 hours. they where some of the best I have ever done.

here's what they looked like. perfect bark, gentle tug to come off the bone clean. I did 8 racks like this for the guys at the fire station and they all said they were fantastic.

If i spritz won't that remove the dry rub? Also I believe that I won't be able to use my new maverick temp gauge do to no where to probe the meat since it is ribs. Am I correct?

If you wait an hour before spritzing you should not remove the rub. While I use a thermo on everything else I look for the meat to pull up the bone 1/4 tp 1/2 inch. At this point they are done.

what Rick said. wait awhile and the rub will be stuck.
of course dont spray direct straight stream. kind of mist it on.
thats what I do and dont have a problem keeping the rub on.
I also do not probe the ribs , just watch internal smoker temp.

Thanks to everyones reply. My smoker can only go up to 275Deg. I have it set at 225 deg It has been an hour however my new maverick E73 is regestering 202Deg, thus far. sHOUD i TURN UP THE SMOKER OR WAIT TO SEE IF THE THERMO KEEPS CLIMBING

I would leave it where it is i get best results between 200-220 with patients
biggrin.gif

Well Once again I thank all who helped me. I ended up pulling the ribs at about 3.5 - 4.0hrs. They were awesome they actually looked like some of the pics i see on here from the more experienced smokers.

What they said. I would agree with them guys they have been smoking a long time. I use the 2- 1 1/2 -1/2 myself but that is me and thats my smoker too. Yours can be differant and your might like yours differant then I do too. 2-2-1 is just a guide lines you change it to your likings.

::tear::A smoker after my own heart.

Seriously though, you can get ribs, fantastic mouth watering, juice dripping ribs several different ways. AFTER you have cooked a good couple racks, don't be afraid to experiment with different types of cooking techniques when it comes to BB ribs. You're going to ruin some (meaning they won't come out the way YOU wanted or expected them to but they're still very much edible) and you're going to make some of the best ribs you've ever had in the process. The key thing is to find a process that works FOR YOU. If you notice in the above pictures of the ribs by Uncle Lar, the reason there's no pull back is because of the duration of the cook at the lower temperature. And I can betcha that had he temped them between the bone, it would have been between 185-195.

There is no right or wrong way to prepare/cook the ribs, as long as they're edible and above the minimum safe temperature for eating in the end, they're done right. Great job and i'm glad they turned out for you.

Uncle Lar, glad the technique is working so well for you.

Uncle Lar, glad the technique is working so well for you.[/quote]

Thanks Le,
I probably wont ever do them any other way from now on , unless for some reason I am short on time. but I dotry and orchestrate my smokes when I have the time for perfection!
there was a small amount of pullback and the temp when I pulled them was 186* I went 6hrs and wasnt really concerned with the temp, I was just curious as to what it was.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky