Baby Back question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mjmilino

Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
Hey all. Relative newcomer to smoking. I have a question for you about some ribs. My daughter turns 7 tomorrow and wants ribs for her dinner. I was planning on doing a standard 2-2-1 with some baby backs. Here is the question. We're going on a boat at about 3pm and coming back for dinner at about 6pm. Can I do the smoke, finish it at 2:30, and them keep them in a cooler foiled and wrapped in towels for a couple hours? Will they be overcooked at that point or get into the danger zone? What would you recommend?

I haven't held them for that long, but I have for a little over an hour and they were still great. I wouldn't see why you couldn't .

If you're concerned about food safety why not just put them in the fridge or on ice 'til after the boat ride and reheat on the grill or in the oven? 

First of all, welcome to the SMF. Keep reading the different forums, there is a lot of great information available to you.

Secondly, Overcooking ribs is not always a bad thing, depending on the texture you want. If they are finished properly, there would be no danger zone to be concerned over. If you do foil them and put them into a cooler, add just a little liquid such as apple juice insider the foiling to keep them from drying out. You should be OK for a couple of hours. It's all good my friend.

Hey guys. Thanks so much for all of the help. I've been lurking for about 4 months now. Bought a Char Griller Smokin Pro in March and have been having a blast. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

mj Welcome aboard! Since you've been lurking for a few months, you know we love us some Qview!  Don't forget the camera this time..haha  Sounds like a great birthday party coming up!  Good luck and keep us posted.

I smoked 6 racks last weekend for my wifes family party and they changed the time of supper on me three times so I had them done by 6pm  and we didn't end up eating until 9pm and they were so nice and juicy and tender. I just double foiled them and put them in the cooler with towels. You can also heat up the towels in the dryer to get them warm first before you put them in the cooler. They will be great.

2-3 hours should be no problemo in the cooler.  They will still be piping hot at suppertime.  Cook plenty, because being on a boat always makes me double hungry for some reason.  Have fun!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky