Baby back b-day with some ABT's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bpopovitz

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
Central Indiana
At Sam's a few weeks ago I found BB's in the reduced rack so I grabbed them and put them in the freezer at home.  Wifes' b-day was coming up and this was the only weekend that the parents could all get together with.  So I pulled the ribs out of the freezer on Wednesday and rubbed them down on Frida and smoked today.  Just finished dinner and the wife had to go to work so I thought I'd post the days work.

Unfortunately the in-laws did not make it because the flurries we were supposed to get turned into abouit5-6 inches of snow.... YUCK......

Here they are finally thawed and ready to start the love...

711e3da0_DSC_8458.jpg

I have to cut them in half to be able to get them in the smoker so I had 6 half racks.  down to the last 2 halves.  I rubbed, one not...

313559ee_DSC_8460.jpg

I've posted this before but it's worth posting again.  Here's my rub.  Note my changes in the salt for the "essence" and I only use 1/3 of what my original recipe calls for in my rub.  Also note that if you compare this to my other porst.  I've removed all the sugars from the rub.  I have to say.  This made a huge difference and had much deeper flavor.

1/4 cup paprika

2 tablespoons Essence (Emeril's recipe that I mix leaving out the salt)

6 tablespoons kosher salt (I used 2 tablespoons)

2 tablespoons onion powder

1 tablespoon granulated garlic

1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper

1 tablespoon chili powder

1 teaspoon mustard powder

1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

All 6 half racks ready for their nap.  I did not use any mustard or olive oil to adhere the rub.

837ac4c9_DSC_8461.jpg

Everybody in the pool (8:30 AM).  I did put a light covering of brown sugar on the top just as they went in.

29863541_DSC_8468.jpg

1 half rack foiled. A few pats of no salt butter, some more brown sugar, bit of honey and apple juice / rum mixture. (11:30 AM - 3 hours)

bde7b63d_DSC_8470.jpg

Finished ABT's. 

3/4 lb of cream cheese

1 tbsp Emerils Essence that i mix myself - no salt

10 jalapenos halved and seeded

1/2 lb shrimp each cut in half.

Bacon...  a few did not have shrimp as there are some non shrimp eaters in the house (me).

b1ef3802_DSC_8472.jpg

RIBS... (Finished at 2:00) used 3-2-.5 method.

837dcab4_DSC_8474.jpg

49850dfb_DSC_8476.jpg

What I learned:

I need to rotate ribs more often in my smoker.  The last time I did ribs I had beans on the bottom shelf creating a bit of a heat shield.  I should rotate more often.

I removed nearly 75 % of the salt from my original rub recipes/ essence and used unsalted butter.  The result was a much deeper more complex flavor that didnt lack any saltiness.  I know I've ready a few posts about salt and health on here and let me tell you.  rubs dont need to be salty.

The flavor of the meat was great.  The tenderness was perfect for me.  There were a few racks that simply fell apart (they were a bit thinner than the other racks) but the one I had pulled gently and still had plenty of texture. 

The ABTs were a hit, since we were short 2 adults we had some leftovers and I plan on experimenting with freezing the ABT's and sealing them up for later.

I hope you enjoyed looking as much as I enjoyed cooking.

Reactions: rp ribking
Looks fabulous!!!

Now I am way hungary...

Thanks!!!

Craig

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

Evereything look awsome to me too. Now you can keep the snow now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky