Awsome Mac 'N' Cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fritz

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
Rochester, NY
We have a Q joint up here in New York called the Dinosaur Bar B Que and they serve the best mac 'n' cheese. I have not tried to make it yet but thought I would pass along the recipe.

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que's Mac 'N' Cheese
INGREDIENTS:
½ C. vegetable oil
1 ½C. onion, diced
¾ C. green pepper, diced
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
4 ounces flour
3 cups water
3 cups half-and-half
14 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
5 ounces Colby cheese, shredded
10 ounces American cheese, shredded
4 ounces Pecorino Romano, shredded
1teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons. lemon pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons French's mustard
2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 ½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1 ½ pounds elbow macaroni

TOPPING:
8 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons Pecorino Romano cheese

METHOD:
Heat oil in a large pot. Add onions and peppers; cook until they are translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Stir in flour. Add water and half-and-half. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Using an immersion blender, puree this mixture until it is smooth (*if using a regular blender, work in batches, filling the pitcher only half-full, since the liquid will be hot). Slowly add cheeses to warm pureed mixture, making sure all cheese is melted before adding more. Once cheese is completely melted, add salt, lemon pepper, sugar, mustard, vinegar and Tabasco. Stir to combine.

Cook 1½ pounds of dried elbow macaroni in boiling water, according to manufacturer's instructions. Cook until al dente, not completely soft.
Combine hot, cooked pasta and sauce in large mixing bowl; stir well to combine. Pour entire mixture into a greased 10-inch-by-12-inch pan (or a 9-inch-by-13-inch one). Top with 8 ounces. of shredded cheddar cheese and 2 tablespoons of Pecorino Romano cheese.
Place under broiler until top is golden brown and bubbling. Serve immediately.

Looks very tasty! I have copied and plan on trying it. Thanks for sharing!!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky