Away for Christmas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wade

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 12, 2013
Kent, UK
It has been decreed by she who must be obeyed that we are spending the week of Christmas with family in rented cottages in Suffolk. I am still expected to cook the full Christmas dinner though for 10 even though I have no idea what the kitchen facilities comprise of. I am therefore smoking the turkey and half of the gammon tonight and I will briefly vac pac, freeze and re-heat it for Christmas Day. Sous Vide - I love you xxx. The other half of the gammon is going to be cooked in the pressure canner in ginger beer on Christmas day. Does anyone else have additional challenges inflicted upon them when preparing their Christmas meal? To get my own back I have ordered 10Kg of dry ice to be delivered on Christmas Eve so that I can have fun making brandy butter ice cream at the table on Christmas Day 
banana_smiley.gif

Hello Wade.  Glad to see you will be having a Great Christmas stress free meal.  Good luck.  
icon_biggrin.gif
  Here is my challenge.  The English wife is not sure about smoked turkey for Christmas.  I did a leg a week ago and she was impressed BUT!; I am under strict orders not to mess up her Christmas dinner.  No pressure then!  Go for it friends!  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Hi Wade, you seem to be into the same things as me! Sous Vide is the best. Been doing it for a while now, with mostly great results. We use it in our catering business to provide what we call Mini Hog Roast, which are joints of meat carved carvery style. The nearest this gets to a flame is a blow torch at the end to add colour. I have done Sous Vide pulled pork, but that's why I want to get into smoking, to do it the American Way!

Smoker is on its way but still waiting for the temperature controller to arrive from China, seem to have got lost!

Have a Happy Christmas and a Smokin New Year!

Steve

hi guys 

just started to get the turkey ready ,i decided to do a cured turkey this year and smoke it in the uds christmas morning ,i have a 5.6kg (12lb) bird ,i am following the recipe from on here," pops pickled turkey" i have just injected the brine and immersed it in a cool box and filled up the top with ice packs to weigh it down ,3 day wet cure and smoke until 160f as hot and fast as it will go in the uds (i have never got it above 350f with all vents open) lid vent is a bit small lol  and a roasted leg of pork is on the menu as well ,i am also doing a fatty with cranberry or apple stuffing with a sausage meat layer then a bacon weave also in the smoker with the turkey that is instead of pigs in blankets i love cooking at christmas !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
banana_smiley.gif

where in Suffolk. That's our County :-)
We stayed at Red House Barns (Reindeer Cottage) near Sternfield. I can highly recommend them for a short get-away. 3 hot tubs to choose from too. Weber 22" also included - though I did not know that before we went!

We stayed at a converted barn in Manningtree a couple of years ago. That was great too - except the BBQ there was a cheap B&Q jobbie that was not even fit to burn sausages on.

Hi Wade, you seem to be into the same things as me! Sous Vide is the best. Been doing it for a while now, with mostly great results. We use it in our catering business to provide what we call Mini Hog Roast, which are joints of meat carved carvery style. The nearest this gets to a flame is a blow torch at the end to add colour. I have done Sous Vide pulled pork, but that's why I want to get into smoking, to do it the American Way!

Smoker is on its way but still waiting for the temperature controller to arrive from China, seem to have got lost!
Hi Steve

I know there are some purists around but I think that if a method gives you great results it is fine to use. I like to experiment and Sous Vide is most certainly one of the tools in my box as well. I have never tried pulled pork that way - it sounds intriguing and I will have to give it a go.

Did the smoker arrive?

I hope you had a great Christmas.

Wade 

Last edited:
Hi Wade, the pulled pork comes out perfect for pulling, cooked at 63.7'C, I mix it with a BBQ jerk sauce to give it moisture and a bit of a "kick"!

Cooked Turkey Crown this year Sous Vide, once again perfect result, we will see if we get a perfect result next Christmas with the Smoker!

Controller for Smoker has not arrived yet, they sent one but got lost.

Your are not too far from me? Sutton In Ashfield? We will have to meet up for a chat?

Steve

I totally agree with Wade.  I used to be one of the purists.  REAL MEN USE WOOD ONLY AND MUST BE MESQUITE WOOD!!!  The truth is as long as you get a final product you and the family enjoy you have a successful cook.  I am even switching to propane for my fridge build.  SACRILEGE!!!  
icon_biggrin.gif
  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Talking of Mesquite, does anybody know of a source in the UK??  Weber sell chunks in bags for the price of a good ribeye...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky