Attn: Veterans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

skeletoil

Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Veterans get a $100/Month from Social Security. It isn't automatic you do have to sign up. You have to be 62. There is a cutoff date. Check with your Social Security office.

The OPs post is a little misleading.

When veterans apply for retirement or disability benefits, Social Security auotmatically checks their records. If they have qualifying military service, they get credit for additional wages for their military service. These credits are added to the veteran's lifetime earnings record — not to the veteran's monthly benefit check. But because Social Security uses lifetime earnings as the basis for figuring out a person's retirement benefits, the credits can ultimately raise the monthly payment.

For a long period of time a veteran would receive a credit of $100 for each 3 months of service. Later, the credit was $100 for each $300 of military pay earned, not to exceed $1,200 annually.

The program began in 1940 and in 2001, Congress eliminated the program. Thus, military service in calendar year 2002 and later years no longer qualifies for the special credits.

​All I can say is sign up for your medical Benefits Get your check ups and see a social worker,I was just diagnosed as having PTSD 2 weeks ago 

Richie

Last edited:
$100? Vet's should automatically get the MAXIMUM Benefit for their service, regardless of what their lifetime income was...I was not in the military but those that were, including my Dad WWII Vet, have paid their dues...JJ

Thanks for the clarification! When I retired in 2000 they briefed me on the program but I haven't really thought much about it since. :D

V/r

DeMop

You guys need to get all you can as you deserve more. Of course it is a government program so you will have to be aggressive. Know that the rest of us do not like that it is that way. I for one will vote for someone that respects our military and our veterans. Like JJ my father was a WWII vet and I have his folded coffin flag in front of the TV as a reminder that freedom is not free.

All I can say is sign up for your medical Benefits Get your check ups and see a social worker,I was just diagnosed as having PTSD 2 weeks ago 

Richie
Didn't do me any good.

Enrolled two weeks ago...... four years of active duty with the Marines and I qualify for zero benefits. I guess if one makes more than 35K per year, you're SOL. This doesn't bother me too much but never, ever getting Veterans Day off really gets under my skin, especially when I know that millions of people who never served get the day off every year. Guess that's just one of those things I'll never understand.

All I can say is sign up for your medical Benefits Get your check ups and see a social worker,I was just diagnosed as having PTSD 2 weeks ago 

Richie
Didn't do me any good.

Enrolled two weeks ago...... four years of active duty with the Marines and I qualify for zero benefits. I guess if one makes more than 35K per year, you're SOL. This doesn't bother me too much but never, ever getting Veterans Day off really gets under my skin, especially when I know that millions of people who never served get the day off every year. Guess that's just one of those things I'll never understand.
Joe try getting in touch with one of the groups American legion,or any other group in your area.You should have Medical Benifits 

Richie 

I had a change of income for the worse and was able to get medical care the following year until my situation improved. So it's good you are enrolled. Were you at Lejune for basic? I see that qualifies for enhanced eligibility between certain years if you were there for 30 days http://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/apply/veterans.asp

I talked my dad into getting enrolled and now he can get medical care since his only income is social security now that he retired.

Didn't do me any good.

Joe try getting in touch with one of the groups American legion,or any other group in your area.You should have Medical Benifits 

Richie 
I had a change of income for the worse and was able to get medical care the following year until my situation improved. So it's good you are enrolled. Were you at Lejune for basic? I see that qualifies for enhanced eligibility between certain years if you were there for 30 days http://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/apply/veterans.asp

I talked my dad into getting enrolled and now he can get medical care since his only income is social security now that he retired.
Thanks guys for your advice!

Mike, I was never stationed at Camp Lejeune. That was one of the questions asked during enrollment. Just got a letter from the VA today with a more detailed explanation, end result is the same, for now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky