Attempting First Fatty

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ycastane

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 12, 2013
Lithia, FL
I've been reading several threads here about fatties to see how it's done. I decided I will make 2 of them, one with the jimmy sausage or whatnot and one with ground beef, I want to see which I like more.

My worry is that the bacon won't crisp up. I have an MES that goes up to as high as 270. I know I have to cook the fatties to around 160-170 IT. At around 220-230? Will the bacon come out crispy?

I've got an MES30 Gen 1 and I just cooked the fatty at the highest setting until it reached an IT of 165. Pork is nice and fatty and if your using something like an 80/20 beef there's no chance of it drying out if pulled at the proper temp. Not to mention....IT'S WRAPPED IN BACON!!!

Here's a picture of my finished product done at 275 on the MES.

I've got an MES30 Gen 1 and I just cooked the fatty at the highest setting until it reached an IT of 165. Pork is nice and fatty and if your using something like an 80/20 beef there's no chance of it drying out if pulled at the proper temp. Not to mention....IT'S WRAPPED IN BACON!!!

Here's a picture of my finished product done at 275 on the MES.

Niiiiceeeee!!! Yeah I have the same MES, I will definitely be making this on Saturday!!! Can't wait!! Thanks rgautheir......

Don't forget the q-view
th_wsmsmile0ly.gif

Not to worry , you'll be fine. What is being stuffed in that Fatty and the Cow Roll? I like Roasted Green Chile and a good Cojita Cheese and maybe some other goody inside.

Have fun and definatly send Q-view, as always . . .

You should be fine getting the bacon to crisp up.  A good trick is to use thin bacon, not the thick stuff. That's where people run into problems when smoking things wrapped with bacon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky