At work with my Bradley

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

williamzanzinger

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 21, 2007
Williamsville Ny
Im constantly trying to perfect recipes for smoked foods at work. I work in a retirement community and serve 100 people per meal everyday allday.

Ok, enough of all that. Tommorow ill be smoking darkmeat quarters in my bradley 4 shelf digital. About 24 peices , so that 6 per shelf.
This weekend I was playing with hightemps(as if) with her and even when I got her up to 320 she lost everything the moment I opened the door, dropped to 230 and stayed there most of the rest of the time. So with these 24 peices Ill never get the temps up past 220. Should I cold smoke then just roast them or deal wit the low, non crisping temps? I know for flavor I get to finish wit a bit of smoke wich I love but whats better? Crispy skin or full bore smoke?

William , if it was me , I would smoke at as high a temp as possible to an internal temp of 175 * to cook and flavor the poultry, then if you want crispy skin and have a grill available , fire it up and crisp the pcs on it or pop in an oven under a broiler until you reach your desired finish , then you will have a nicely flavored and crispy product , also you may want to look at brining said pieces for 3-4 hrs prior to smoking to ensure you keep the meat moist as well , my .02 worth, hope it helps

When I did a turkey for Thanksgiving, it was in the smoker at about 230° until an internal temp of about 155°, then pulled it and put it in a 350° to bring it that last 10° to 15°. That seemed to be enough time to make the skin fairly crisp.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your smoke.

I'm with T-Bone. Grill or an oven finish at 400° for a few. let 'em sizzle. Good time to add a bit of mop/glaze/sauce with just the short time of high heat for caramelization too.

I can't help much with the Bradley, but I really like grilling my chickens on my Weber using lump with chunk of hickory thrown in. They turn out great with a nice crispy skin and just enough smoke flavor.

Just another option...

Well, I did the deed with the chickens (not like that!!). Anyway they were good though towards the 160's the drippings had accumulated enough around the drip pans that I started to get some smoke from that,which is not desireable to me so i pulled them and gave em a sizzle in the oven like suggested. Overall it was succesful. I like they way the cabinet fits right on my line(set atop an unlit chargrill) smoke goes right up the hoods and alls clear. I also smoked some chicken backs for my jumbalaya stock tomorrow. Oh the joy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky