Arroz Mexicana, This is the Classic Mexican Rice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm eyeballing that measurement, but it doesn't seem too much.

The rice/onions absorbs it as you saute it, and the excess keeps the finished product nice and moist.
Get the rice opaque then add the onion to soften.
Once the onion softens add the garlic and then get the rice to a nice golden color.

Use bacon grease for even more flavor.

I'm going to make this next time we do fish tacos...Looks awesome! Thanks for posting Chile!
Looks great! Throw in pollo and I'm all in
Thanks, and do try it, a great authentic Mexican rice.
You can throw in some cubed or shredded meat, but add a little extra water or tomato puree to keep it from drying the rice out.

OHH another recipe I will be trying. We do a lot of rice, and this one will fit in nicely vs my other version of Mexican rice. Nicely done sir. Thank you.

Im so happy to have a very "traditional" Jaliscan (State of Jalisco, Mexico) girlfriend. Pretty sure she is going to be my wife! She taught me how to make Mexican rice, and it is very close to this recipe.

She and her mom dont use the additional spices or bell pepper, but they sound good in there. Maybe we will try and alter her mom's recipe (and not tell mom) lol

+1 to you my friend for keeping it traditional

Im so happy to have a very "traditional" Jaliscan (State of Jalisco, Mexico) girlfriend. Pretty sure she is going to be my wife! She taught me how to make Mexican rice, and it is very close to this recipe.

She and her mom dont use the additional spices or bell pepper, but they sound good in there. Maybe we will try and alter her mom's recipe (and not tell mom) lol

+1 to you my friend for keeping it traditional
Aww schucks man, thank you.
I was taught traditional and will try to keep it that way.
A good wife is a treasure, especially one that can cook, snatch that one up for sure.

Reactions: Plinsc and Xendau

Congrats! We go to Puerto Vallarta in Jalisco every year. Lots of pretty girls and great food down there!

Hey, Chile

That looks like a great recipe. It'll be on the table tonight....

Do you have a preference for the type of rice? We have 6-7 kinds in the pantry....

Hey, Chile

That looks like a great recipe. It'll be on the table tonight....

Do you have a preference for the type of rice? We have 6-7 kinds in the pantry....
Great, I do believe you'll love it.
It doesn't really matter, a plain'ol Jasmine or Basmati rice will do.
I definitely wouldn't use any of the more expensive grains, like Aroborio, Nano, Carnaroli or etc.

Thanks. We have an extra long grain Basmati that my wife really likes so I'll use that. Everything else is either in the pantry or garden. I'll use a couple jalapenos to add some heat. And we have some black been soup to go with it.....

And I'm stuffing peppers for the freezer tomorrow or the next day so this my be a good starting point for the filling.

Aww schucks man, thank you.
I was taught traditional and will try to keep it that way.
A good wife is a treasure, especially one that can cook, snatch that one up for sure.

chilerelleno chilerelleno - So true! She loves that I can cook... Her mom, who speaks hardly any English, loves Lucille's (BBQ Joint) here in Cali. I hate the place. Well she has been tasting my Que now, and she says she'll never go back to Lucille's. lol

Her mom and I trade dishes, she has my girlfriend bring me food and I send her food. I used to be a chef (for a brief moment after culinary school)... Thinking about trying to make some close to authentic Mexican dishes with smoked meats from the pit.

My girl loves the fact anytime there is a need for stock, I make it from scratch. I dont like to use the store stuff. I use it in everything, there is almost always a pot of stock going 2 days out of the week in our place.

Wait! I missed this?
Chili big thanks for posting this!

I will alter it to include Red Beans - Goya red beans and rice

This might convert to the Instant Pot easily - What rice is used - long or short grain?

Wooops yea just read above... for the IP I am using the basmati for sure...

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky