Are marinades good or bad?

Discussion in 'Messages for All Guests and Members' started by lord of the ring, Jul 25, 2008.

1. lord of the ring

lord of the ring Smoke Blower

Hi All,

I'm planning on doing a soy/asian/citrus marinade for a whole cut up chicken over night. Is this advisable? Can one marinate ribs? Is there a good time frame for doing this, ie. overnight, a few hours, one hour? I was planning on using some acid (lemon juice) in my chicken marinade because I really like the flavor, but I also know it can cook the chicken as well. Are there consequences when smoking meat that has been partially cooked by the citrus acids?

Thanks![​IMG]

2. moltenone

moltenone Smoking Fanatic

my opinion would be that you still have to go with the proper internal temp.

mark

3. ron50

ron50 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

NY
    Marinades can be great as long as they aren't overdone. They are supposed to enhance the flavor of the meat, not cover it up.

Too long in mariande can make the meat break down too much and become mushy.

With chicken 3-4 hours is plenty. with parts I'd do less.

I've done whole turkey breast overnight with good results.

My favorite marinade has 4 ounces of orange juice plus a cut up orange in it and never had a problem. I'd be more cautious with lemon and limes as they can be more acidic.

4. flash

flash Smoking Guru OTBS Member

You need to try some Mojo Crillio on pork and especially beef. I like to do those over night. Chicken for only about 4 hours tops.