Are marinades good or bad?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lord of the ring

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Orlando
Hi All,

I'm planning on doing a soy/asian/citrus marinade for a whole cut up chicken over night. Is this advisable? Can one marinate ribs? Is there a good time frame for doing this, ie. overnight, a few hours, one hour? I was planning on using some acid (lemon juice) in my chicken marinade because I really like the flavor, but I also know it can cook the chicken as well. Are there consequences when smoking meat that has been partially cooked by the citrus acids?

Thanks!
cool.gif

Marinades can be great as long as they aren't overdone. They are supposed to enhance the flavor of the meat, not cover it up.

Too long in mariande can make the meat break down too much and become mushy.

With chicken 3-4 hours is plenty. with parts I'd do less.

I've done whole turkey breast overnight with good results.

My favorite marinade has 4 ounces of orange juice plus a cut up orange in it and never had a problem. I'd be more cautious with lemon and limes as they can be more acidic.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky