Apples, Apples, and more Apples....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tatonka3a2

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Glenburn, ND
We have more apples than we know what to do with. Wondering if anyone has any great ideas on canning them. We make a apple pie mix already that is great that we can, but we have so many apples we need some more ideas.

We are thinking of jelly - can you make jelly without a jelly bag? I have made jams before, but not jelly. Does anyone have an apple jam recipe?

Any ideas would be great!!

Thanks!!!

Hi Hon -

I have no idea what a jelly bag is so apparently I've never used one. I really love apple butter it'd great as a snack on crackers or bread and great slathered on pork.

http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/Canni...ppleButter.pdf

I usually can or freeze most of my apples plain so I can use them for whatever I want. It's nothing fancy so if you want to pluck them out for anything you don't have to worry about them mixing spices.

To Prevent Discoloration
Add 1/2 teaspoon of crystalline Ascorbic acid to each quart of the syrup before pouring over fruit in jars, or use commercial Ascorbic and Citric acid mixture following the manufacturer's directions.

For Canning
Wash, pare and core and slice. If the peeled fruit is going to sit for several minutes before precooking, drop it into solution to prevent discoloration.

Drain. Boil 3 to 5 minutes in a thin syrup (see below). Pack into jars to within 1/2 inch of top. Fill to within 1/2 inch of top of jar with boiling syrup. Put on cap, screw band firmly tight. Process in boiling water bath.
20 minutes - pint jars 25 minutes - quart jars

For Freezing

Peel, core, and slice apples. Put in solution to prevent darkening. Drain and blanch 2 minutes in boiling water or slice directly into chilled syrup.

Syrup

1 cup sugar
3 cups water
Boil sugar and water together until sugar is dissolved.

Freezing Apples without Sugar

Wash, peel and core apples. To prevent darkening, dissolve 1/2 teaspoon ascorbic acid powder or equivalent of finely crushed vitamin C tablets in 3 tablespoons water. Sprinkle over apples. Freeze.

One trick that makes nice apple slices - if you have room, is to lay the apples on a plate side by side so they freeze sepately. Once they freeze you can bag them together. Makes nice pretty slices to lay on top of an apple desert or crumb cake or whatever.

Hope this helps!

A couple years ago we got a lot of apples.One thing we made that turned out really good was applesauce.Ist really easy,just cook the apples down than run them through a sieve.I have one of the hand crank models and it works fine.Put the sauce back in a pot to heat,adding sugar or flavor to your taste then can.We are still eating on it,I think we done 50 quarts.

You could make REAL apple butter. You will need a 30-50 gallon copper kettle. They are pricey at antique stores, or you can order a new handmade kettle, signed, numbered, dated (also pricey) from a fellow in W. VA. who is a coppersmith. Also need a long handle stirrer, firewood, a place to build a fire. 12-15 bushels jonathan apples, 8 hand cranked peeler, corer, slicers, water, sugar, cinnamon oil, jars, flats, rings. A bunch of family/friends, some good eats and tunes to keep them going, and a couple days to get it all done.
We are doing it this coming weekend. Cooking 30 gallons. And smoking butts and brisket SmokyOkie style.
PDT_Armataz_01_40.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky