Apple BBQ spares W/Qveiw

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dropastone

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 21, 2009
South Bend IN
Here we go with another Sunday afternoon smoking ribs and enjoying the 70* weather.

1q259e.jpg

1ekkxu.jpg

6pm2s9.jpg

2ntbnv8.jpg

And we are off.

11vhauh.jpg

Angus on patrol guarding the pork from my salivating neighbors but he is a little distracted right here looking for scraps.

x1aioy.jpg

o9mlxd.jpg

I went with a different approach today adding hickory chunks to my firebox. I've been doing lots of reading on the SMF and took some advice from a member, sorry I can't remember who. Instead of putting the chunks directly on the coals I pushed the coals to one side and put 1 chunk on the other side so it would not be directly touching the other coals. The heat from the coals was enough to ignite the wood without it flaming up. It worked out real well. I got a longer smoke time with one chunk using this method compared to using 2 or 3 chunks the way I've been doing it for years directly on the coals. I used a total of 5 chunks to smoke these ribs. Normally I would have used twice that amount. I have to say I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner. Just goes to show that you can teach an old dog new tricks. This was my first time in 15 yrs of smoking that I didn't get that thick white smoke when first adding chunks to the fire. I had a steady tbs the whole time and I could really taste the difference in the meat when it was done. This is the way I'll be doing it from now on.

23uzod5.jpg

Quick pick after about 3hrs in and time for a snack.

bbudi.jpg

Angus still on patrol, doing his job and keeping those pesky neighbors away.

11borqh.jpg

9vi7ht.jpg

6 hour mark and they're coming off the smoker.

2v2yvid.jpg

6jefll.jpg

I sauced them at 5 1/2 hours in, sorry no picks. I tried a new sauce today, applesauce BBQ sauce It was real good if you like a sweet sauce which I do but not that sweet. It was a little to sweet for me even after I reduced the brown sugar from 2 cups to 1 1/2 cups. If I do it again I think I will only go with a 1 cup and see how that goes.

Here is the recipe

INGREDIENTS

* 1 cup applesauce
* 1/2 cup ketchup
* 2 cups unpacked brown sugar
* 6 tablespoons lemon juice
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon paprika
* 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS

In a saucepan over medium heat, mix applesauce, ketchup, brown sugar, lemon juice, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and cinnamon. Bring mixture to a boil. Remove from heat, and cool completely. Use to baste the meat of your choice.

I added about a half tablespoon of Cheyenne pepper for a little heat.

OK here are the final pics. I hope you all enjoyed the show.

34opykx.jpg

fkty4j.jpg

2dgt2q9.jpg

2uy3zgw.jpg

Looks awesome nice job
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

those are some nice lookin spares, nice color. That sauce recipe looks good as well, I may have to try that.
points.gif

Nice looking ribs. Thanks for the qview and sharing a new sauce.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Yes in diddy another fine rack of ribs. You did a fabulous job there Dropastone. I'm not to sure about that applesauce bbq. But great job and the ribs.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Yeah I'm not completely sold on the sauce myself it's way to sweet for me I would probably have to try a 1/2 cup of brown sugar next time. I was just looking to try something new.

Yeah I don't foil my ribs anymore. I used to when I was just starting out because I wanted to them to be fall off the bone type ribs. Over the years I have learned to cook a ribs without the foil because I like to have the meat stick to the bone just a little bit. Personally I feel you get a better tasting end result without foil.

I've done a lot of reading on the subject of foil or not to foil and I've heard from a lot of people that if it's fallen off the bone the meat is overdone and you've cooked them to long. I tend to agree.

Personally I don't foil but to each his own.

Good product you have plated there!

That is a good looking sauce, different, and my family likes the sweet stuff.
Makes me want to do a rack or two this weekend
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

Thanks for the recipe...

Sweet!

Where'd you get the coal basket? Does it end up giving you enough airflow when doing long burns? I find that I put a grate in but would prefer a basket with a crosshatch design to better contain the coal and allw me to better buildup piles.

Sorry that this is a little off topic.

Very nice finishing colour on the ribs. I copy and pasted your recipe into my files, changing the Brown sugar to 1/2 a cup as my starting point. Points for the qview and the interesting sauce recipe.

I'd worry more about Angus getting hungry than the neighbours. He is a big boy and needs his grub.
tongue.gif

My neighbour had a Newfoundland dog around that big. About every second person he met while out walking the dog asked the same dumb question. What do you feed him? Bill would look them in the eye and casually say "There ain't no slow kids in our neighbourhood"
biggrin.gif

love your dogs name! never would have thought of that.
the ribs look great! nice job! the sauce recipe looks good too.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thanks for all the kind words.

Went to Lowes and bought some expanded sheet metal. Cut and bent 3 Pieces into a squared u shape. Use one for the bottom and the other 2 for the sides. You will have to bolt them or tack weld them together.

[+] LOL very crude diagram.

Yes it gets excellent air flow.

I have a question, does Angus have a saddle or do you just ride him bareback...
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky